Thread: Light Leak

Light Leak

I recently got back some double dark slides that I haven't been using for a while and a second Intrepid body that I similarly hadn't use for nearly two years. I had some funny issues with some of the frames with near identical exposure marks across the film.

It is possible that they may have come from the same double dark slide (I reloaded them more than once in one shooting session), although I am also not ruling out an exposure with the camera issue or the slight possibility the film wasn't loaded correctly on one side.

I developed these at home and am quite experienced with home development - never had a problem like this before so am adamant that the issue happened when I took the image.

Anyone have an ideas what it could be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	218901
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	218902

Re: Light Leak

How were they developed, tank, tray or rotary?

Let's collectively put our virtual heads together.

The lines are vertical, and quite sharp.
    You would know if you had your holders in a bag, and put in the camera and back in a bag
    I think light leaks wouldn't be so sharp like that
    Is there a piece of tape maybe or something on the holder that makes it not TRUE on the back?
    Or maybe there is some gunk in the back that is make the holder just mm not flushed?

I'm just tossing out ideas to check.

Now that I think of it, I don't think it' son the holder, but something in camera. Nothing on the camera looks "off" to you? Like a seam seperating? I'm not a familiar with the Intrepid, they do look well made but maybe there is something a little less sinister that's not making everying true and seamless.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    How were they developed, tank, tray or rotary?
    Developed in a Paterson tank with 20th century film holder.

I had thought that maybe its the black clips that hold the ground glass in place. Occasionally they get in the way when you have taken the double dark slide out after and exposure, however I don't think they can get in the way when the film is loaded.

It appears to be light-struck, not a development issue.
    Does the stripe continue into the unexposed rebate edge of the film?
    If not, then it is probably an in-camera issue, such as the back not being seated on the camera properly on one side, and there being a gap where sunlight could get in.
    Less likely would be one side of the bellows detaching from the rear standard.

It really looks to me like the filmholder is not seating properly in the back, or the camera back itself is not seating properly, or the bellows on one side of the back are not attached properly (if you have detachable bellows, that is). Check all that first.

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    It really looks to me like the filmholder is not seating properly in the back, or the camera back itself is not seating properly, or the bellows on one side of the back are not attached properly (if you have detachable bellows, that is). Check all that first.

Doremus
    I'm sort of leaning towards this theory myself. Either the film holder itself, or the sides of the camera the hold the film flat and true. I'm not familiar with the Intrepid so not sure how the bellows attach. Is it something that can come out easily? Actually, on all my LF cameras I've had and used in the past, I don't remember taking the bellows off except for the Cambo studio cameras, they come off with a slider thing.
    --

there's a thread about image mistakes...

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...es-good-or-bad