Thread: Cokin P series filter on Super Angulon 90mm f/5.6

Cokin P series filter on Super Angulon 90mm f/5.6

Hi all, recently got into large format. Hope I’m posting at the right place.

I am looking to get a set of Cokin filters and I am torn between them the P series and the Z-Pro. On the one hand the P series is cheaper and takes up less space, but in the other hand the Z-Pro is more flexible. More importantly, I have a Super Angulon 90 f/5.6 non-XL version with 82mm filter threads. The P series filter goes up to 82mm, but will I run into any mechanical vignetting issues with the 90 on 4x5? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Jerry

Re: Cokin P series filter on Super Angulon 90mm f/5.6

I haven't noticed any on the ground glass, even with some left/right shift, but I haven't actually shot with it, so I can't confirm with certainty. Cokin also makes a low profile "slim" holder for the P system (I don't have the slim holder though) that would be worth owning to reduce the chance of interference:

https://www.adorama.com/ckbppw.html

so, after your question, I thought I'd try something--I put the lens on my 8x10, so I could see most of the IC, and yeah, it definitely vignettes, but still has plenty of shift for my purposes. The IC for the lens should be 235mm, and the vignette was at about 190mm. You can get more space by rotating the filter holder 90 degrees, and the slim holder would help too. I don't use front shift a whole lot, so when I tested it on 4x5 I probably tested a centimeter or so in each direction.

Thank you very much! That is very helpful. I will mostly be shooting landscape so most often I’ll need some front tilt. If I need more movements, shooting without filters isn’t the end of the world!