Thread: Large format and (living) insects!

Large format and (living) insects!

It can be done, provided they're asleep!

08-20-21-04 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr

After a quick iPhone snap in case he flew away, I set up the Ebony 45SU with a Fujinar 210mm/4.5, at f/6.7, did the bellows extension calculation and shot at 1/15" (The 1/30 setting on my shutter, which I know to be 1 stop slow, I'm glad I tested it after I bought it) and I got the little sleeping bee!

This was my first outing with Rollei RPX 25, and that is a very thin film base! I got a few fingerprints on some shots, and a lot of scratches, so I may not stick with this film after I finish the box. I suppose I could be much more careful about loading (holders and Jobo reel) and hanging to dry, (both of which I usually do without gloves), or I could just stick with Delta 100 which is more forgiving of my gorilla hands.

Apparently, male solitary bees sleep in flowers: https://invisibledust.com/journal/wh...re-not-at-work

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Re: Large format and (living) insects!

Quote Originally Posted by drew.saunders View Post
    It can be done, provided they're asleep!

08-20-21-04 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr

After a quick iPhone snap in case he flew away, I set up the Ebony 45SU with a Fujinar 210mm/4.5, at f/6.7, did the bellows extension calculation and shot at 1/15" (The 1/30 setting on my shutter, which I know to be 1 stop slow, I'm glad I tested it after I bought it) and I got the little sleeping bee!

This was my first outing with Rollei RPX 25, and that is a very thin film base! I got a few fingerprints on some shots, and a lot of scratches, so I may not stick with this film after I finish the box. I suppose I could be much more careful about loading (holders and Jobo reel) and hanging to dry, (both of which I usually do without gloves), or I could just stick with Delta 100 which is more forgiving of my gorilla hands.

Apparently, male solitary bees sleep in flowers: https://invisibledust.com/journal/wh...re-not-at-work

Drew

Quite nice. Well done!

Nice shot. So bees sleep. Wow. Never knew that. Never thought about it. Sure, at night. What else do they have to do when the sun goes down?

It's insane you managed to get that shot, the setup, the metering, the focusing, all before that bee woke up!

I have seen NatGeo documentaries that sometimes they "knock them (critters) out" with some smoke or something like that to keep them zoned out and high or something.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    It's insane you managed to get that shot, the setup, the metering, the focusing, all before that bee woke up!

I have seen NatGeo documentaries that sometimes they "knock them (critters) out" with some smoke or something like that to keep them zoned out and high or something.
    I used to have a couple of hives. Smoke interferes with bees' sense of smell. Without getting into the details, the result is that a human intrusion doesn't cause an uproar in the hive. The bees remain active, but don't go into attack mode. I've never met a beekeeper who doesn't use smoke to settle down the inhabitants when he wants to work around a hive. The effect is temporary. Smoke does no lasting harm.

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post

Thanks! It was probably still there 10 minutes after I finished. I thought it might be dead until I saw the antenna move.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/