Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peace Vans!

Tin Can

Re: Peace Vans!

Nice. There's a company here in SoCal called EV West. They stick Tesla motors/batteries in old cars. They did one to a VW bus. I think it was like 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. I would get an old F100 or something like that from the 70's and convert it with e-motor battery.
    --

Drew Wiley

I guess that would be OK if the batteries remain hidden from sight. But to be an authentic love n' peace van you'd still cosmetically need to have a wood shingle roof with a piece of stove pipe coming out of it, tie-died curtains, and the rear window plastered with Turista stickers and bullet holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I guess that would be OK if the batteries remain hidden from sight. But to be an authentic love n' peace van you'd still cosmetically need to have a wood shingle roof with a piece of stove pipe coming out of it, tie-died curtains, and the rear window plastered with Turista stickers and bullet holes.
    I was reading this and said to my self "sounds like SF...., then looked at your location". Hahaha.

“There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.”
    --

Drew Wiley

I forgot to mention the mandatory generator-run record player inside, replete with a Creedence Clearwater album. It was all "back to the land" at that time, a good healthy off the grid "agricultural" lifestyle, log cabin n' all. Great era for PVC irrigation pipe sales. They routinely came back into town for that. You could smell those vans fifty yards away. So could the cops; but they were largely ignoring the implications by that point. It was reviving rural economies. My favorite "documentary" on that lifestyle is "Homegrown" with Billy Bob Thornton. Believable. And quite a few real murders did occur. It shore warn't all love n peace, nope. It was all about competition, even if that involved racing down the highway at 22mph in an old van desperately in need of an engine overhaul. A few of those classic old hippie vans are still around town, lovingly maintained by some ex-hippie or another who is now a phD running a tech corporation, perhaps manufacturing legit pharmaceuticals instead.

Somebody say pizza van?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

I think drones are going to take over pizza deliveries. That way you can blame them for spilling goop all over your clothing, instead of yourself. Yep, sitting out there on your integral $10,000 tailgate deck to your $400,000 Unimog conversion replacing your dilapidated 60's VW hippie-mobile, picking up your cell phone out in the desert 150 miles from the nearest town and - voila - Round Table delivers just as disgusting a pepperoni pizza from the air as it does from a Bonda hatchback (half Honda, half Bondo).

Looking at the range for a converted van. A lot of money for something that won't get me to the store and back on a single charge.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Drew Wiley

Yeah. Something should turn up affordable soon, Willie. I'm telling all those moth-eaten old hippies to move to North Dakota where the cost of living is lower, and they'll be welcome by everyone, tie-died VW bus curtains n' all (yuk, yuk).

Yep, all fools those back to the landers

My 2 friends, lived in a teepee at first on their densely wooded hills, as they got useful degrees in mining and I forget, no kids, but good retirements

In their spare time they self built a very nice pole home on a hill, then made a fish pond, with a dam that is part of the 1 mile gravel long driveway. Stocked with Bluegill, the water moccasins stay in the weeds.

2 horses, 3 dogs usually

and all the water they will ever need

There are Rednecks all over this country, good thing I fit in

stop hating!

4 WD or know how to drive

We had Willie Nelson type parties

We had the Air Force low slow strafe us with movie cameras as we skinny dipped and waved
    Tin Can