Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Sky is Burning

Drew Wiley

Re: The Sky is Burning

Well, some of those blue sensitive masters learned to do wonderful compositions taking advantage of blank skies. Where would any of that be if they had today's options. John Wesley Powell would have sat at a desk exploring the Colorado on Google Earth, while O' Sullivan would have been creating sellable canyon scenes with marvelous clouds at the click of a mouse sitting on his butt too. Faux light, faux scenes, faux adventures, faux experience. It's already getting worse than Soylent Green where everything you eat is recycled, and the only stimulating images are in a final indoor theater experience. ...
    Now let me get back to spotting an image I deliberately inverted in the carrier.

I am not keeping you from anything

I think of you as the big discourager

btw Rich people have motorhome drivers and a lot of them monsters are $500k to $2000K

I am always low rent

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, some of those blue sensitive masters learned to do wonderful compositions taking advantage of blank skies. Where would any of that be if they had today's options. John Wesley Powell would have sat at a desk exploring the Colorado on Google Earth, while O' Sullivan would have been creating sellable canyon scenes with marvelous clouds at the click of a mouse sitting on his butt too. Faux light, faux scenes, faux adventures, faux experience. It's already getting worse than Soylent Green where everything you eat is recycled, and the only stimulating images are in a final indoor theater experience. ...
    Now let me get back to spotting an image I deliberately inverted in the carrier.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I've never met a motorhome chauffeur. Yes, there are people who professionally deliver them. My brother worked his way thru the photo academy as a RR chauffeur for an exceptionally wealthy older couple. They didn't need motorhomes - had giant mansions 12 different locations in the country. I don't classify motorhomes as a camping option. My mantra is that there are two kinds of things that significantly affect your movement through the mountains: motorhomes drastically slow you down, while mosquitoes speed you up. I don't like encountering either, much less the idea of driving something resembling an apartment on wheels. Yeah, I'd love to discourage every one of em in existence. Portable suburban sprawl as far as I'm concerned. Why bother leaving the city if one if just going to take it with them? Nowadays there are numerous more practical options with less of a selfish roadhog footprint. The big ones never seem to pull over for anyone, no matter how many convenient turnouts there are; goes with the mentality it seems.

But I do get the lifestyle choice where people are forced to sell their home in order to be live on a limited retirement income, and take that option, and find some relatively comfortable seasonal location to park for awhile. But in that case, it's not going to be anything ostentatious. Nor can they afford to constantly burn fuel. More a modernization of the Grapes of Wrath theme: take everything with you, and hope you don't get chased away. Motorhomes and homelessness are almost synonymous around here; and the specific locations tend to be filthy, hazardous, and crime-ridden. One of the main reasons these makeshift camps under freeways and so forth get broken up is because they do in fact routinely cause serious urban fires.

It's a different story across the Bay in Silicon Valley, where high paid young techies sometimes opt to live in small street-parked motorhomes or even vans in order to save up money. Home prices are obscene over there, and commuting is a drag. So they do that, commute to a firm a short distance away on a bicycle instead, take showers in the company gym and eat in the cafeteria, then walk away a millionaire in ten years later instead of endlessly struggling just to make payments on a tiny local house.