Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Sky is Burning

Re: The Sky is Burning

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I have an optional digital camera for use on a copy stand...

. ...But what they can't do is actually experience that with their own eyes. Might as well have faux eyeballs too.
    I will be a few years late for Bionic faux eyes, but wish I had them now. I just bought the latest NIKON to aid my vision, that will have to do.

Dr Drew,

Why are you so angry and insulting to us lesser creatures?

I bow out walking backwards...
    Tin Can

"_____ don't kill people, people kill people..."

Likewise, Photoshop didn't kill photography, people killed photography...

Disgusting. But why bother? The sky is burning over much of the northern hemisphere already. No need to fake the shot.
    Took this shot two weeks ago when we were surrounded by forest fires....fortunately we received some heavy rains recently that cleared things up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red-Skies_reduced.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	219130

Drew Wiley

Tin Can - I'm aware you are having advanced eye issues. Nothing I stated was in any manner intended to be insensitive to your personal health issue, and I apologize if what I said came across that way. I was just making another sarcastic remark of yet another of seemingly endless digital camera apps.

Definition of sarcasm
    1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
    2a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual
    b: the use or language of sarcasm

none intended by me
    Tin Can

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 10-18-28 Photoshop 2021 Sky Replacement Advanced tutorial .jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	219181

If people want to achieve that look that a digital camera will have simpler workflow and even a smartphone camera will do very well without the hassles of LF + scanning. Something similar can be achieved with smartphone applications.

Having recently noticed a tastefully lit portrait posted by Tin Can it interested me that he'd suggest a video with what I consider heavy handed manipulation. Drew's broader point about the actual state of the skies is something I'm very worried about.

Saying that because something is old it's good or acceptable doesn't quite convince me. I know that early photographers printed in clouds from other negatives. Early photographers printed in clouds because their emulsions couldn't capture clouds and landscape in one exposure, I think.

I agree that sarcasm is futile, there's too much of it on these boards. I don't think there was any in this thread, just honesty.

I'm on a Dutch forum that has a member that replaces skies in every shot she posts, and if there's water, it shows always a perfect reflection of the landscape.
    Most viewers see now it's a manipulation, and ask for the original. I even spotted a deep blue sky, left and right of the rising sun. It's neither creative, nor realistic in that case.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Drew Wiley

I admittedly poke fun at the current obsession of new just for sake of new, whether its about consumer electronics or related kitchy and ephemeral gadget-generated art trends. It's not aimed at specific persons here. The point I make is, that with such remarkable phenomena already in nature to begin with, and how the beauty of the sky constantly changes on its own, and in a manner far more subtle and beautiful than anything we can concoct, people are really cheating themselves when they try to fake it. A bit of balancing of hue and proportion and contrast etc is inherent to fine-tuning any photographic composition. But when it's done in a vulgar way, just trying to mimic some predictable postcard look or achieve some sudden gotcha effect like an advertisement, well, that's another matter. There is use of tools, and there's abuse of tools. At a certain point, it's not photography at all, but just another lazy way to make an inferior painting. Spend two weeks futzing around in PS and every app imaginable, and you still have less control fine-tuning hues that an ordinary skilled watercolorist can do in two minutes mixing his own pigments. But it's trendy and cool and keeps bread on the table of software writers and electronics engineers, so there you have it.

Well, don't be too outraged, as a month or two ago, some big internet "influencer" (Kardashian???) took flak as their posted "selfie" was spotted with a new dropped-in sky and Twitter went ablaze... So others notice too...

In the pre-ortho 19th century, day skies would go solid white, so common for masters to drop in skies...

Steve K

Cibachrome, Chromes, B&W are perfect representations of our formally glorious planet, warts and all?

Photography is an infant in the vast Art scheme of time

Abuse of tools, hardly. Use every tool possible till it 'dies' in pursuit of our goal. Even hammers wear

Perhaps I expire, as I will never regain the glorious journeys of my youth, when I so brashly decided to NOT photograph, to remember my witness better

nay, the struggle is life and art is any way we want or able

I admittedly poke fun at the current obsession of new just for sake of new, whether its about consumer electronics or related kitchy and ephemeral gadget-generated art trends. It's not aimed at specific persons here. The point I make is, that with such remarkable phenomena already in nature to begin with, and how the beauty of the sky constantly changes on its own, and in a manner far more subtle and beautiful than anything we can concoct, people are really cheating themselves when they try to fake it. A bit of balancing of hue and proportion and contrast etc is inherent to fine-tuning any photographic composition. But when it's done in a vulgar way, just trying to mimic some predictable postcard look or achieve some sudden gotcha effect like an advertisement, well, that's another matter. There is use of tools, and there's abuse of tools. At a certain point, it's not photography at all, but just another lazy way to make an inferior painting. Spend two weeks futzing around in PS and every app imaginable, and you still have less control fine-tuning hues that an ordinary skilled watercolorist can do in two minutes mixing his own pigments. But it's trendy and cool and keeps bread on the table of software writers and electronics engineers, so there you have it.
    Tin Can