Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadly hike----Haz-Mat the cause?

Drew Wiley

Re: Deadly hike----Haz-Mat the cause?

Gas ? Very very very unlikely where they were found, out in the open way up on the side of a ridge. No mines around. Far above the creek. We're all just making wild guesses (me too). This one is really a mystery. Remember, this is a popular trail visited by many, and by them specifically many times before.
    Maybe this thread should become combined with the UFO one on the Lounge. Toxic aliens?

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Gas ? Very very very unlikely where they were found, out in the open way up on the side of a ridge. No mines around. Far above the creek. We're all just making wild guesses (me too). This one is really a mystery. Remember, this is a popular trail visited by many, and by them specifically many times before.
    Maybe this thread should become combined with the UFO one on the Lounge. Toxic aliens?

There are very few things that could affect them so quickly, and having an animal involved should narrow it down. They may never figure this one out as some chemicals break down quickly.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Toxicology results would help to exclude possibilities such as poisoning. But I maintain that bad air could explain why the family and their pet died suddenly. Just a hypothesis. The air does not even need to be poisonous, it just need to lack oxygen. Yes, it's unlikely, but this is an unusual situation.

Bringing up aliens is unhelpful.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by trekkin View Post

Unless aliens did it. Then bringing them up would be very helpful.

Just sayin’…
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by trekkin View Post
    Toxicology results would help to exclude possibilities such as poisoning. But I maintain that bad air could explain why the family and their pet died suddenly. Just a hypothesis. The air does not even need to be poisonous, it just need to lack oxygen. Yes, it's unlikely, but this is an unusual situation.

Wouldn't they be able to detect suffocation as a case of death if that were the case? One would think so, but we are all a bit influenced by crime shows which make everything seem easy. I'm sure there is a lot of technicalities in determining cause of death that make it more complicated.

Channeling the late Norm Macdonald, the culprit is either O J Simpson or Frank Stallone.

Drew Wiley

Air lacking oxygen? - way up on the side of a hill thriving with wildlife, with ample air currents being channeled by a considerable canyon network below? There wasn't even any serious smoke issue yet, that early this summer. I've spent much of my life exploring those very kinds of Sierra canyons, and even lived on one considerably deeper. Nothing like this has ever occurred. Not even any miners' stories or Indian lore equivalents. They weren't found in a mine shaft; there aren't even mines nearby. They were found on the side of a hill, out in the open.

But the fact it took so long to discover the bodies up there, above the main canyon, with no doubt a degree of decomposition in that hot weather, might seriously complicate certain kinds of forensic tests. But if poisoning was hypothetically involved, I seriously doubt it was environmental. The toxic algae hypothesis has also been relegated to the realm of the unrealistic due to where they were found, and the ample amount of water they still had.

The laws of probability do allow for all oxygen molecules to be missing from a large enough area to suffocate someone. Just a very very very low probablility.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Just a very very very low probablility.
    Now would that be more or less probable than a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias spontaneously materializing somewhere in the troposphere? FWIW, the science writer Sam Kean maintains that every time we inhale we take in some of the same atoms Julius Caesar exhaled with his last breath.

Drew Wiley

Ask Brutus. Or in this case, maybe watch the movie, Green Mile. There was some interesting re-breathed molecules in that one.