Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadly hike----Haz-Mat the cause?

Re: Deadly hike----Haz-Mat the cause?

Failed Alien Abduction
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Cattle graze in the area, also drink the water; so do all kinds of other critters - deer, coyotes, small mammals, on and on. They're barking up the wrong tree. Sure, it could well be poisoning - but from what and where, or perhaps even whom? There are aliens in the region - illegal aliens dropped off way back in the woods working for cartel drug operations, presuming that game isn't still being run by the County Sheriff like it was twenty years ago. Lots of ways to get into trouble if you saw or heard something and didn't keep your mouth shut.

I wouldn't worry much about that fact as a typical tourist or photographer or even sensible resident in most portions of the County. You're not apt to encounter it down lower in wildflowery open rangeland, or in the high country, or even any popular part of Yosemite NP. But even down in un-trailed hot brushy portions of the Park itself there has been a problem. Meth heads abound too. So any number of possibilities might need to be explored in this case - but is there some reason for the local authorities to deliberately avoid raising certain potential explanations? That wouldn't surprise me at all. It's still basically a narco county, as is the county immediately to the south, and to the north as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Meth heads abound too. So any number of possibilities might need to be explored in this case - but is there some reason for the local authorities to deliberately avoid raising certain potential explanations? That wouldn't surprise me at all. It's still basically a narco county, as is the county immediately to the south, and to the north as well.
    There have been cases of clandestine labs managing to release gases which pretty quickly overcame, anaesthetised and then killed their occupants. Some would fit the bill of being fairly quickly lethal in close, immediate proximity, but would dissipate fairly quickly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    If it were a toxic gas "bubble" or such, the wildlife would be killed, right?
    I don't think toxic gas discriminates between humans, domestic animals(the dog) and wildlife, and those hills are loaded with critters.
    It would depend a lot on the specific gas in question, and whether it was released as a result of natural processes, or disturbing something dumped in the surroundings - and the reactivity of the released gas with the surrounding air, and how quickly it may have dispersed via wind etc. Many commonly used herbicides/ pesticides/ fumigants etc are all capable of delivering the effects described.

Drew Wiley

If something like a fumigation bomb (the big agricultural kind) had been involved, they would have dropped then and there. But illegal pot farms around this state are known to use a lot of illegal pesticides and herbicides. Someone stumbling onto a leaky container of that kind of thing left behind and handling it unaware and ungloved could certainly end up dead rather quickly. But what about the dog and toddler? A late friend of mine was in charge of illegal pesticide inspections for the EPA in the San Joaquin Valley down below there. He'd stumble onto leaky drums of products like Parathion, sometimes with the bodies of undocumented farm workers nearby. A single drop of the concentrate will kill a person within 20 minutes. And he sadly died of a sheer cocktail of explosively rapid weird cancers at 52.

But again, would this kind of hypothesis be even followed up if the offending backwoods industry was a protected open secret. About a decade ago I had a friend whose death was almost immediately ruled an "accident" by the Sheriff's Dept in a different narco county, even though everyone around there knew it was an obvious planned murder, staged as an accident, and probably knew who did it too, but weren't willing to run afoul of the complicit authorities.

But illegal pot farms around this state are known to use a lot of illegal pesticides and herbicides. Someone stumbling onto a leaky container of that kind of thing left behind and handling it unaware and ungloved could certainly end up dead rather quickly. But what about the dog and toddler?
    There are also a number of potentially very hazardous organic solvents (for example ones that break down to produce phosgene etc under specific conditions) that would need to be considered - and which may be used in various extraction processes in clandestine laboratories.

Reading between the lines, there seems to be some sort of suggestion that there's some level of evidence of (peripheral?) neurological injury been found.

Cattle graze in the area, also drink the water; so do all kinds of other critters - deer, coyotes, small mammals, on and on. They're barking up the wrong tree. Sure, it could well be poisoning - but from what and where, or perhaps even whom? There are aliens in the region - illegal aliens dropped off way back in the woods working for cartel drug operations, presuming that game isn't still being run by the County Sheriff like it was twenty years ago. Lots of ways to get into trouble if you saw or heard something and didn't keep your mouth shut.

I wouldn't worry much about that fact as a typical tourist or photographer or even sensible resident in most portions of the County. You're not apt to encounter it down lower in wildflowery open rangeland, or in the high country, or even any popular part of Yosemite NP. But even down in un-trailed hot brushy portions of the Park itself there has been a problem. Meth heads abound too. So any number of possibilities might need to be explored in this case - but is there some reason for the local authorities to deliberately avoid raising certain potential explanations? That wouldn't surprise me at all. It's still basically a narco county, as is the county immediately to the south, and to the north as well.
    Yep, seems to be endemic in the region. Go a couple more counties south and the D.A was running the narco racket back in the 90's. The Sheriff ran his enforcement. This according to my friend who was working at the D.A.'s office at the time and barely got out with his life. Chilling stories. To this day, he will not drive on the 99.

Drew Wiley

No way certain of the FBI aren't entangled with it either, perhaps via some "Whitey Bulger" kind of agreement - tit for tat information swapping. There was even an opium plantation in proximity to the FS office across the River from my old place; they probably knew about it the whole time. Money speaks; and so do automated weapons.

Seems likely to be toxic algae bloom - probably filled up their water bottle and passed it around. Real shame. Going to make me more careful even when filtering. Indirectly climate change claimed another set of victims - as the toxic water would not occur without the drought in CA.
    Don’t think a whole family and dog would be wiped out by toxic chemicals from an illegal grow - it just seems unlikely. Although what these grows do to the National Forests in CA is simply criminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Seems likely to be toxic algae bloom - probably filled up their water bottle and passed it around. Real shame. Going to make me more careful even when filtering. Indirectly climate change claimed another set of victims - as the toxic water would not occur without the drought in CA.
    Don’t think a whole family and dog would be wiped out by toxic chemicals from an illegal grow - it just seems unlikely. Although what these grows do to the National Forests in CA is simply criminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Toxic algae test results are in after mysterious deaths of California family while hiking
    BY CARMEN KOHLRUSS

Seems like they are basically confirming the initial hypothesis - bad drinking water.