Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shutters compatible with 7" Dagor?

Armentor1

shutters compatible with 7" Dagor?

well, I drank the juice and picked up a 7" dagor. Is there any chance of getting this into a shutter other than the original compur?

I do lots of low light work so is not a huge deal to use it at T however, would love to take full advantage of this lens.

thanks all
    Dave

Re: Dagor

Dave SKG can mount it in a Copal but it may take a machined adapter which will cost.
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 17-Aug-2021 at 11:05.

Re: shutters compatible with 7" Dagor?

Quote Originally Posted by armentor1@mac.com View Post
    well, I drank the juice and picked up a 7" dagor. Is there any chance of getting this into a shutter other than the original compur?

I do lots of low light work so is not a huge deal to use it at T however, would love to take full advantage of this lens.

thanks all
    Dave
    If I understand you correctly, you are saying this is currently in a Compur shutter. Is that right? If so, is it a No. 1 Synchro Compur (rim-set)? In that case it could be a direct fir in to a No. 1 Copal. I say "could" because the 8 1/4 inch (post war) Dagors and 8 1/4 inch Red Dot Artars that I've seen fitted to the No. 1 Compur have had the rear of the shutter modified to take the larger diameter (larger than the standard for a No. 1 Compur/Copal) thread on the rear cell. Don't know if they may have also done this with the 7 inch Dagor.

David

Armentor1

Armentor1

Re: Dagor

David, I was reading this, I'll give them a call

Quote Originally Posted by armentor1@mac.com View Post
    Safe to say that would not be a direct fit in to a Copal or "modern", i.e. post-WWII Compur.

Looks like a Compound except the cable release socket and shutter speed dial look a little off. Anyone: were there other shutter makes back in the day that used a pneumatic cylinder like the Compound?

David

(Shrek)

That's a fine shutter, still working after 100 years and will probably still be working for another 100 with minor maintenance. If there's nothing wrong with it, you don't gain much by putting it in a slightly more modern shutter. You would gain some consistency in the 1s - 1/5s range if you moved to a mechanical clockwork shutter instead of the pneumatics in this one. If that's your usual range and you need that reliability, it is possibly a direct fit into a pre-WWII rim-set Compur. Take the necessary measurements (dia of front and rear elements, and spacing, ie thickness of shutter), and start looking.

is that a transplanted shutter? the aperture scale doesn't look like any of the old systems in use before the modern ƒ-number scale. it looks like the modern scale but for a 2.8 lens.

EDIT: also, yeah, I agree with Jody. I was really surprised when a bargain bin 110-120 year old compound with a 168mm Dagor I tested this weekend seemed to expose provia accurately. Or maybe I got lucky.

EDIT2: whoops, I posted too quick--thats the US system, I didn't look close enough.

Ah, now I see the shutter is labeled "Compound". That logo (if that's what it is) on the speed dial; it looks sort of like a paper clip, looks familiar but I can't place where I've seen it.

David

I had a 7" factory coated Dagor I wish I hadn't sold. It was mounted in a Wollensak Rapax shutter. Not sure what size, though. But, the size shouldn't be too difficult to determine.