Thread: B&J Black 5x7

B&J Black 5x7

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A519FB60-3052-4016-8C38-F371D6B6E392_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	218720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01B03334-4A20-4FC2-A1BF-7B583AB42660.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	218719G’Day All
    I recently acquired a Burke & James 5X7 Camera.I had a similar camera about 25 years ago ,but this one is a bit different ,my old one was all wood and gray this one is black and the piece that the bellows attaches to that holds the lens board is a type of plastic (Bakelite?) .I am happy with the camera and am looking forward using it but have a few questions . The rear standard swing movement is loose ,it moves even when the knob is tightened down very tight. The bellows will need replacing soon ,are they glued in and what type of glue would one use. Last? Where to order a bellows at a good price and quality
    ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D507B631-BA34-4516-ACD2-6B2B1D1FB2AE.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	218718
    Last edited by MichaelGJ47; 16-Aug-2021 at 21:06. Reason: photo

Re: B&J Black 5x7

For the locking points, first see if possibly any washers are missing under the locking knobs and on the other side of the sliders... Tighten down the knobs while watching if the metal brackets that are supposed to lock are bending or deflecting...

You can replace the above washers with nylon or fiber types from a good hardware store such as Ace...

Reach inside bellows to feel if there is a plate or wood frame over ends of bellows flaps... These types are usually screwed through the bellows and into the inside of standards... Removing when changing bellows is what holds them down... Some maybe glued down, and require some soaking with a mild solvent such as naphtha (lighter fluid)...

Get a quote for bellows from Custom Bellows/UK first, as theirs are the best, and competitively priced with the online offerings...

Have fun!!!

Steve K

thank you Steve for info and Iwill contact custom bellows

B&J wooden cameras were all either gray or natural wood, to the best of my knowledge...someone probably painted it black. It looks great in black!
    I second the recommendation for Custom Bellows.
    Have fun with it!

Maybe a special

I have a OE black paint Detective camera Eastman made in England with macro marking for evidence images

They also made all white hospital cameras

B&J made a lot of off book specials
    Tin Can

That looks like the CV I refinished several years ago. I stripped it hoping to use a natural finish but the wood didn't look good enough (IMO) so I sprayed it black to match my B&J Speed Press.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

It may have been repainted but if so the quality is better than the factory finish I had on my first one.