Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A scary schneideritis.

A scary schneideritis.

Look here, lower left pic: http://198.63.62.23/ebay/lg/jan200.jpg
    I've never seen schneideritis like that.

A scary schneideritis.

I've seen others that bad. What is scary is the serial number is 14 million, meaning it is not that old a lens.

A scary schneideritis.

Yep, I was just about to comment on that. Actually though 14,100,000 was manufactured in January 1985, so it is kinda old compared to say 14,400,000 which was manufactured January 1991.

A scary schneideritis.

I've heard the term, never knew exactly what it meant... is the paint flaking off the inside baffles?

Geos

A scary schneideritis.

I have a Schneider 150 G-Claron that I purchased new a little over five years ago that is now beginning to look pretty bad. Optically, this lens still performs, but it shouldn't be happening. I hope it doesn't happen to any of my other lenses and especially the XLs

A scary schneideritis.

I stay away from Schneider lenses for exactly that reason. I find it unbelievable that Schneider is not capable of resolving this issue and it is not just the Schneideritis they have issues with. They had a serious Fungus problem as well. I prefer Rodenstock, Nikkor and Fuji lenses - never had any issues with those. LF lenses are too expenisive to run that kind of risk.
    Juergen

A scary schneideritis.

My 150mm (sn 130xxxxx) and 240mm (sn 140xxxxx) g claron are free from schneideritis. My componon-s 135mm has slight schneideritis. Both my repro-clarons (305 and 420) and makro symmar hm 120mm (sn 144xxxxx) and xenars have none. Many of the schneider plasmats that I saw on that auction site had schneideritis and it did not appears to be related with the lens age, some of the newer one had it, some of the older one have none. Also, is schneideritis related with SK plasmat construction?

A scary schneideritis.

At least all their lenses (except the Apo-Tele-Xenar HM, Super-Symmar XL, and Xenar) come with a lifetime warranty. George, I think your G-Claron is covered by this warranty as well, and you could probably get Schneider to replace them once it gets really bad.

A scary schneideritis.

I find it difficult to believe that Schneideritis of any significant degree doesn't affect image quality. (Let alone, the kind of gross Schneideritis that Rob's 300mm shows.) Question is, how much. Depends on how much light gets reflected into the cameras chamber and onto the film.

Has anyone seen this affliction on their wide-angles? It seems to be more prevalent on their plasmat type lenses.

A scary schneideritis.

I had an exact same lens for my 10x8 Dorff. The Schneideritis was "overwhelming" - every mm of every internal surface front and rear was covered - but the lens was "free" so I tried it out - nothing to lose? Took some b&w negs with it and same scenes shot with a 240mm Symmar-S (no Schneideritis) ..... no difference (that I could see) between both sets of pics! I was expecting "something" bad - but never happened! I also have a (1980s) 120mm f8 Super Angulon that is developing this "disease" - still using it without problems. To me it appears to be cosmetic although I had expected some deterioration in image quality. I've not tried shooting straight into the sun - but wouldn't do that anyway! Weird!