Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper for both Kallitype and Platinum?

Paper for both Kallitype and Platinum?

hi guys,

Anyone have some advice on this? Looking for paper that I can play around with using Kallitype process. Looking to be able to get my workflow down on Kallitype before doing PT/PD printing. Anyone use a paper that I can use for both?

I'm looking, for now, "affordable" paper, you know, something that won't break my meager bank account on Kallitype so priced well enough so I can experiment with 4x5 sheets before moving onto 8x10. If the prints turn out nice, I can use that same paper for PT/PD. I figure for the first year, I really need a budget paper before moving onto something nicer.
    --

Re: Paper for both Kallitype and Platinum?

If you can handle light weight paper which is easily torn when wet, look for stationery which is either 100% cotton, or 100% cotton rag, or 100% linen. I use this regularly and used it to teach students to handle paper gently.
    Any paper you buy should be 100%cotton or linen, even the heavier ones meant for alt processes. 32lb cotton paper by Cranes is an excellent paper, and about 20% heavier than stationery. Also, it is designed to withstand wetness.
    Also, I like unbuffered papers. There are bufferd papers on the market which work, but there are as many which don't.
    I believe in minimal wet time which is a help in using these lightweight papers.
    By the way, try Van Dyke Brown instead of Kallitype. Kallitype can be rather tricky.
    Last edited by Jim Noel; 16-Aug-2021 at 12:17. Reason: additional info

I have seen both types of prints on Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag. works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have seen both types of prints on Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag. works very well.
    I agree with Bob on this one. HPR seems to work with any alt process I’ve tried. Not exactly cheap but has been consistent for me.

I have easy access to Van Gelder's Simili Japon, an excellent paper for both processes (and many more). It does have a yellowish tint. In my hands/experience I find Kallitypes more attractive than Pt/Pd print. Pt/Pd prints are relative easy, Kallitypes are much more laborious, I tone (convert?) them with either gold or Platinum. Obviously Platnium printing is expensive, Platinum toning less so, you use much less metal and only tone an existing images.

good luck,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Kallitypes more attractive than Pt/Pd print. Pt/Pd prints are relative easy, Kallitypes are much more laborious,
    I did not know this! I've done a small amount many years ago, then got busy with life

I tone (convert?) them with either gold or Platinum. Obviously Platnium printing is expensive, Platinum toning less so, you use much less metal and only tone an existing images.
    This is good to know!
    Thanks so much!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    I agree with Bob on this one. HPR seems to work with any alt process I’ve tried. Not exactly cheap but has been consistent for me.
    Thanks!!

I got some Arches Platine for now, it was the cheapest I can find for 10 sheets. Will try some with 4x5's so that's 20 sheets I can ruin. I probably will need another 10 sheets of 11x15 before I get proficient.

I will put Hahnnemuhle on my list of things to get later this year when I'm (In Joe Isuzu voice) become an expert....
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Thanks!!

I got some Arches Platine for now, it was the cheapest I can find for 10 sheets. Will try some with 4x5's so that's 20 sheets I can ruin. I probably will need another 10 sheets of 11x15 before I get proficient.

I will put Hahnnemuhle on my list of things to get later this year when I'm (In Joe Isuzu voice) become an expert....

Platine can be a beautiful paper if you get a good batch. It has a reputation of being inconsistent from batch to batch which makes it iffy to commit to if you can’t trust it’ll work every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Platine can be a beautiful paper if you get a good batch. It has a reputation of being inconsistent from batch to batch which makes it iffy to commit to if you can’t trust it’ll work every time.
    I will keep that in mind thank you!
    --

I stopped using Arches Platine , I had terrible issues with bad paper, for awhile it was my go to paper.