Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 Gandolfi with 4x5 Back

5x7 Gandolfi with 4x5 Back

I have a Gandolfi 5x7 with a 4x5 back on it. It was sold as a 5x7 so I assume that is correct. Now I would like to put a 5x7 back on it if I can find one and I have posted in the Wanted to Buy section looking for one.

My question is if I can indeed put a 5x7 back on it and what work would be required.

This is a photo of the 4x5 back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F348B32B-F692-412B-9D7F-244B8F942F0A_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	218639

Re: 5x7 Gandolfi with 4x5 Back

The first things would be is to find out if a 5X7 back was made for it... The second thing is to measure the lens to film distances to see if camera will allow enough bellows and extension to use the FL of your desired lens + subject you wish to cover... And will the size of your desired lenses fit on the lensboard and fit into front standard opening...

It looks there is not a lot of extension there, but you might shoot 5X7 with shorter lenses on it, but also know that it might be tricky to keep bellows from obstructing the edges of the image on your film...

But it looks like a great 4×5 camera as-is...

Steve K

A friend of mine had a Gandolfi with a 5x7 back, I don't know if it is the same model as yours. So they were definitely made however I think it will be hard to find. Gandolfi cameras are not common and rarely come up for sale, much less parts for them. It may be easier to find a different wood 5x7 if that is the format you really want.

Good luck!

-Joshua

I have a Gandolfi 5x7 with both backs that I bought in about 1994. Yours looks like it has many more years on it than mine. I also think that you will have trouble finding parts for this camera. The good news is that if you need bellows for it at some point, the folks at Custom Bellows in the UK supplied the bellows for the Gandolfi cameras and have the original specs on file. I converted mine to a Technika style board many years ago and was looking for the original front panel but it is well hidden. If the panel that holds the lens board slides up and down, it will slid all the way off and there may be a number on the back side. Model number not serial number. Like 57. If the camera is in good usable condition and you want to use it for 5x7 try it out for awhile as 4x5 and see how it works for you. Then you can see if you want to try to adapt some 5x7 back to it or better see if you can get Ritchard Ritter to make a new one. Good luck!

It would be easier if you first found out which model you have got: imperial, precision ? model number?
    ...how does the rest of your camera look?

Apparently your camera came with an international (US) back.
    They also made them with the backs that take double bookform plateholders:
    https://picclick.com/Antique-Gandolf...l#&gid=1&pid=9

My Flickr

If the inside dimensions of the bellows are 7"x7", or very close to that, then it can handle the format. You may be able to find an original back, or have an 8x10>57 back for some other camera cut down to fit.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

My 5x7 is a Gandolfi. Judging by the size of your ground glass, it does look like yours is capable of 5x7. Measure as Tracy suggested above. It's not a complicated project to make a back if you have decent woodworking skills.

I once had a similar problem. Ended up finding a Burke & James wooden 8x10 down to 5x7 back for little money. Stripped the gray paint to find absolutely No. 1 grade wood. Adaption was extremely easy to my 5x7 backless wooden view camera by just making 4 very precise saw cuts, and then another 4 very precise saw cuts, and finally the simple fabrication 4 pins (from brass nails). Stained the back to match my camera and it looked to be an OEM back. The replacement GG that I already had was just a smidgen (maybe 1/8") larger in one dimension than needed... $20.00 in cash to a glass cutter, and it all came together very nicely.

Thanks everyone for responding, that is a bit to take in and work out what I actually have and if it is possible to have a 5x7 back after all.

I'll do a couple of things suggested like look for the model number and if it looks worth exploring the 5x7 back I'll contact Richard Ritter. The bellows definitely needs replacing, it has no leaks but the front section has collapsed and lost its shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	680D7D96-3CD9-49DA-88B8-A735B976F0CD.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	218900
    Last edited by Colin D; 23-Aug-2021 at 01:57. Reason: Add bellows photo

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Reducing-Back

Might solve your problem with a bit of work?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.