Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nighttime is the right time!

Nighttime is the right time!

As some here know, my genre of choice is photographing urban and suburban street and alley scenes late at night / early in the morning. I've been photographing this subject matter almost exclusively for going on 13 years now and I haven't even slightly begun to tire of it!

Here are a few recent samples from my latest project documenting the F.Q. Story historical neighborhood in downtown Phoenix, as well as my long-running 85258 project, wherein I photograph on foot -- no "drive-by shooting" for me, thank you! -- within the boundaries of my zip code:

All of the above photos were taken using a Sony A7R in combination with my D.I.Y. FrankenKamera VII shift lens adapter and various C/Y lenses.

Please feel free to post your nighttime photos of any kind to this thread as well ... the more, the merrier! 8^)
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

Re: Nighttime is the right time!

Kool!!!

I like the dark, surreal "something in suburbia is amiss" look to this series...

Keep it up!!! Great work!!!

Steve K

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19801105_img_80114_Skibaan_bij_avond_Afga_50S_Prof_FB.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	218614
    The huge mountain of stone that came out of the coal mines created this hill, more than 600 feet high.
    A perfect place to ski.
    Rollei 6x6 Agfa 50S
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Cool. I’m into similar subject matter (urban landscape etc.), also mostly overnight and just before sunrise. Nice to run into someone else crazy here

My stuff has almost always been black and white but there was a guy who used to post a lot here several years ago who worked mostly in colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    As some here know, my genre of choice is photographing urban and suburban street and alley scenes late at night / early in the morning. I've been photographing this subject matter almost exclusively for going on 13 years now and I haven't even slightly begun to tire of it!

Here are a few recent samples from my latest project documenting the F.Q. Story historical neighborhood in downtown Phoenix, as well as my long-running 85258 project, wherein I photograph on foot -- no "drive-by shooting" for me, thank you! -- within the boundaries of my zip code

All of the above photos were taken using a Sony A7R in combination with my D.I.Y. FrankenKamera VII shift lens adapter and various C/Y lenses.

Please feel free to post your nighttime photos of any kind to this thread as well ... the more, the merrier! 8^)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Cool. I’m into similar subject matter (urban landscape etc.), also mostly overnight and just before sunrise. Nice to run into someone else crazy here

My stuff has almost always been black and white but there was a guy who used to post a lot here several years ago who worked mostly in colour.
    From 2008, when I started photographing at night (after I found myself stranded in Superior, AZ* while on a mini-road trip and having nothing else to do) and continuing until 2016 or so, I converted my all photos to B&W.

I enjoyed working with B&W again after moving away from it as soon as I could afford to buy and process color film, even if the digital process was completely different.

But the truth is that I was doing so as a practical matter, because the majority of the light in my photos comes from streetlights and with the bulbs that were in use at the time, the light they produced was an ugly amber color. Worse, it was essentially monochromatic, which meant the tint couldn't be color-balanced away, because there were no other colors to be re-balanced!

It was in sometime in 2014-15, IIRC, when I noticed the City of Phoenix, among others where I was photographing regularly, had begun to convert their streetlights from using low-pressure, sodium-vapor bulbs to LED bulbs, which projected light that was nearly full spectrum and much closer to color neutral than had ever been the case before.

Although I continued to convert my photos to B&W for a few more years for the sake of consistency -- see a few samples below -- when I imported them into my computer, I always saw them in color and eventually, for grins and giggles, I started to process them as color photos occasionally.

In late 2016, I began photographing a new project in one of the many historical neighborhoods of downtown Phoenix and decided to do it in color instead of B&W because the scenes I was photographing were so colorful that IMO, my photos, such as the one below, lost a lot of their impact otherwise.

And thus it has been ever since!

* Movie and/or Jennifer Lopez fans may recall Oliver Stone's 1987 movie U-Turn, which was shot in and around Superior, AZ, a small, economically moribund mining town located in the mountains an hour's drive east of Phoenix that appeared to exist in a 50s-60s time-warp. Although they covered the paved streets with dirt for the movie, the town is actually depicted quite accurately otherwise.
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

Great work, as always, Jeff. You've inspired me to get a color conversion done later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Kool!!!

I like the dark, surreal "something in suburbia is amiss" look to this series...

Keep it up!!! Great work!!!
    Thanks for the kind words!
    JG

Quote Originally Posted by fotopfw View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19801105_img_80114_Skibaan_bij_avond_Afga_50S_Prof_FB.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	218614
    The huge mountain of stone that came out of the coal mines created this hill, more than 600 feet high.
    A perfect place to ski.
    Rollei 6x6 Agfa 50S
    Keep 'em coming! 8^)
    JG

Tokyo, February 1993

A few more from my 85258 project:

JG