Thread: Anyone try the Chamonix/Jobo 5x loupe?

Anyone try the Chamonix/Jobo 5x loupe?

Just curious if anyone had tried this. I saw it on their site while I was looking at other things. I have been using a Leica 5x loupe for years, and I like it very much, but I was thinking of getting another loupe of equal quality as a spare and so I can pack it with the 8x10 kit or leave it at my studio for work with my monorail. Generally I just bring the Leica with me, but if the quality is there, I am ok to pay the price of the Chamonix to have a spare. Not sure what the gold standard is for loupes these days, however...is it Silvestri perhaps? I tend to make big enlargements and shoot a lot in the evening or at night (half the year here), so having a bright, well-corrected loupe is critical.

Re: Anyone try the Chamonix/Jobo 5x loupe?

Does that loupe have focus adjustments? Diopter adjustments?

I am not sure. I do not believe so....this is not necessarily a deal breaker for me, as I use contact lenses. I typically find that focus adjustments move all about and it can be a bit frustrating, though I recognize that they are critical for some users.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    Just curious if anyone had tried this. I saw it on their site while I was looking at other things. I have been using a Leica 5x loupe for years, and I like it very much, but I was thinking of getting another loupe of equal quality as a spare and so I can pack it with the 8x10 kit or leave it at my studio for work with my monorail. Generally I just bring the Leica with me, but if the quality is there, I am ok to pay the price of the Chamonix to have a spare. Not sure what the gold standard is for loupes these days, however...is it Silvestri perhaps? I tend to make big enlargements and shoot a lot in the evening or at night (half the year here), so having a bright, well-corrected loupe is critical.
    A Leica loupe or a Wetzlar loupe? They are two different and unrelated companies.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I recently got an eTone 6x loupe. Made in China… good metal construction and focusable. Haven’t used it a lot yet but initially impressed and good value too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    A Leica loupe or a Wetzlar loupe? They are two different and unrelated companies.
    The modern one from Leica Camera. Looks like this, though this is not mine: https://imgur.com/a/nSivDh4

Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    The modern one from Leica Camera. Looks like this, though this is not mine: https://imgur.com/a/nSivDh4
    Looks nice!