Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Durst Componon and Componon. What is the difference?

Re: Durst Componon and Componon. What is the difference?

Thanks Drew! I see your point, but I can say, I do not have problem with sharpness, I was looking for the special character in tonality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
    I was looking for the special character in tonality.
    For the large part this isn't something 'special', instead It's simply the result of the effects of higher flare levels from the older lenses. A small adjustment in print grade used will more than likely land you where you want to go. Overall I can't say I've seen any unique properties about old Componon lenses, other than that they seem to run out of really sharp optimisation range faster than Rodagons or Componon-S and later lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
    Nice collection Daniel, thank you for the advice. What do you use to take off the front group?
    I have a set of rubber stoppers that can usually remove the front ring which is not slotted but is threaded. Then you need an adjustable spanner wrench to loosen the retaining ring, which holds the front group in. Generally they come out fairly easily but be very careful. I wouldn't suggest doing this yourself if you are not good with your hands. And take notes and digital pictures as you go.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

A "special look" might require some innovation. Look around for cheaper old graphics barrel lenses, either single-coated or uncoated. That kind of thing is easier to achieve in camera to begin with, though I have personally fiddled with darkroom options too. Old tricks like a bit of very loose woven fine fabric over the enlarging lens can also be tried. Or you could deliberately introduce excess flare by placing pieces of white cardboard inside the enlarger bellows - another old trick.

Thanks Drew, I thought of the uncoated lenses! I will try it, and also will try the ones you mentioned.

Tamas,

The 150mm F9 Rodenstock Apo Ronar is a special tiny gem of a lens IMO. I have three of them; one for Plaubel Makiflex and two matched pair for Sinar.

I've paid $50 recently and there are some on Ebay right now. If no retaining ring I metal epoxy it to the lensboard. If done cleanly all is perfectly good

It's really a 2x3 lens but cover bigger close up.

I have a set of Kern Arau Apo-Repro lenses (210mm 300mm 360mm) and those are special to me too.

― Mark Twain

Inner Cleaning 240mm Componon by Nokton48, on Flickr

It took me all of fifteen minutes total to disassemble and clean the interior glass in this 240mm Schneider Componon. You can use a spanner, but this rubber block (from Ebay) unscrewed the front ring no problem. Turned the lens upside down, and gave it a gentle shake; and the front group dropped right into my hand. Then to the kitchen sink, squirt with Dawn dishwashing soap and rinse thoroughly. Still a tiny bit of milkiness remains, but it is way better than it was, and totally usuable IMO. Really it looks OK to me now and this is worth doing and really a piece of cake to do.

Jason Lane (the dry plate guy) disassembled and cleaned the milky front and rear cells on a nice chrome 240mm f5.6 Schneider Symmar Compur, recently .Really reasonable and fantastic work. Thanks Jason. Dan Daniels CLA'ed the compur and now it should be good for another sixty years
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 19-Aug-2021 at 11:49.

― Mark Twain

sculptorBradP

Will this lens work for a 5x7 Durst 138 S / G139 with CLS-301, and or CLS-1000 Head -Groß- / large format Prototype Schneider-Kreuznach - Jos. Schneider & Co. Optical works / Kreuznach 2, Prototyp Schneider-Kreuznach Componon Tele Xenar, f: 4,5 / F: 240mm., Normalkorper - mount – shutter, nbr. of. Lens : #7107320, nbr. Of. Shutter: Rb362
    Telephoto Lens, Screw thread 74mm, Prime Lens, Manual focus, Product weight: 784g, Type: Fixed focal length, Unique!!! for collectors!
    from a collection:
    Response from the sellar is that the lens is Front side thread is 62mm, Rear thread is around 72 mm. Also from another seller, a fabricator for new Durst Lapla plate to use with a Durst 138 S - Thread should be designated by major diameter and pitch. Commonly used pitch for 72mm diameter is 0.75mm, but this is not guaranteed. We can make such plate, but will not accept return if it does not fit. - thanks, - Brad
    Last edited by sculptorBradP; 19-Aug-2021 at 20:26.

sculptorBradP

I actually didn't realize that the Rb362 indicated a shutter until after I looked more carefully at the accompanied picture of the posted item next to an old box that it was originally packed in. I added that info from the box on an edit here with my question after I had initially posted. I am the proud owner of this lens now though. It's in transit from Germany. So, perhaps it will prove useful as a lens for photos of my traditional charcoal figure drawings - generally 18 inch x 30 inch or so. Or maybe a good lens for another use on my 4x5, or 8x10 view camera of my sculpture photos?, - Brad

Drew Wiley

No, don't go with any kind of tele unless you really want to be a guinea pig, or else the lens is so cheap that you have nothing to lose by trying.