Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 65mm lens on Chamonix 45F-2? Recommended bellows?

65mm lens on Chamonix 45F-2? Recommended bellows?

Hello!

I just ordered a Chamonix 45F-2. I'm very very very excited.

I plan to use it almost exclusively for shooting 6x9 on 120 roll film. I'm naturally drawn to wide lenses so I'm thinking that I'll grab a Nikkor SW 65mm f/4 as my first lens. Does anyone have any extensive experience with a lens this short on the Chamonix? I know that the bellows will be almost entirely compressed, but can a fair amount of front standard movement still be applied? I pretty much only shoot landscapes so I don't need a lot. I would install bag bellows but that sort of kills the camera's portability, not to mention that I plan on getting some pretty long lenses eventually. Is there a bag bellows that can be installed while still allowing the camera to fold and use a 240mm or longer lens? That would be the dream option. I'm open to ideas!

Thank you!

Re: 65mm lens on Chamonix 45F-2? Recommended bellows?

Contact Chamonix? Check with hugo zhang <hugoz_2000@yahoo.com>

I used a 90mm for many years. On a flat board it does not allow much of vertical movements (rise/fall). Other movements are ok for landscape work.
    You will likely need to mount that 65mm on a recessed board. The deeper the recession the better.

I doubt whether this makes you happy, in the process of making the phote I mean. The 75 on a 4x5 is already a lot of fidgeting, I found it aggravating on my Technika back then. On my Chamonix F2 I decided to stay happy and not to go wider than 90. The paradox is that the wider you go, the more movements you want to correct overdone perspective lines. Bag bellows are indispensable for that I think, but what’s the problem to change the bellows on location? Extra bellows aren’t that much to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    ...what’s the problem to change the bellows on location? Extra bellows aren’t that much to carry?
    I hadn't even considered that I guess I just assumed that'd be kind of difficult to do in the field? Maybe it's not?

I have the combo you are looking at but only shoot 5 x 4. The quality of the Nikkor is in my opinion disappointing compared to a Schneider 65mm f8 which I also use. My lenses are mounted on flat boards. I dont have a bag bellows because on 5 x 4 lens coverage allows minimal movement before fringing is a problem. Depending on the aperture you shoot at you may see light loss at the edges and significant deterioration in image quality, particularly with the Nikkor. Using 6 x 9 you will obviously get a bit more latitude, bag bellows will be helpful but you then run into the possible downside of using the edges of a lenses coverage circle.

Hmm. If you're going to shoot 6x9, there are many lenses that might do for you. See https://1drv.ms/x/s!AggQfcczvHGNgYhY...yw8Og?e=uIWOnL

Why a lightweight 4x5 field folder if planning to use mostly 6x9 on 120 roll film? While this absolutely can and has been done lots, it is full of trade offs and far from ideal as a 4x5 field folder is designed for 4x5 sheet film with very specific limitations on what lenses can be used.

This view camera stuff is nothing like roll film cameras where camera brand choice comes with specific lenses that can be used with that specific camera brand's camera offering. View cameras are essentially a light tight box that is flexi in the center with one end for a lens and the other for a film holder or solid state imager.

IMO, the best 6x9 view camera would be Arca Swiss for a very long list of facts and real world image making needs.

That said, what kind of 6x9 roll film holder will be used with this lightweight field folder? Lenses shorter than 65mm will be an issue. Image circle of a modern 65mm wide angle lens is plenty for 6x9, challenge and difficulty becomes ability to apply camera movements. Even with a bag bellows, camera movements will limited due to the design of a lightweight field folder. To aid in this problem, recess lens board will be come a very real need. Using view camera lenses on a recessed lens board is not a lot of fun in many ways.

Take the time to read this previous discussion that included using 120 roll film backs on 4x5 view cameras.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ar-Norma-(4x5)

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Schuster_Shots View Post
    Hello!

I just ordered a Chamonix 45F-2. I'm very very very excited.

I plan to use it almost exclusively for shooting 6x9 on 120 roll film. I'm naturally drawn to wide lenses so I'm thinking that I'll grab a Nikkor SW 65mm f/4 as my first lens. Does anyone have any extensive experience with a lens this short on the Chamonix? I know that the bellows will be almost entirely compressed, but can a fair amount of front standard movement still be applied? I pretty much only shoot landscapes so I don't need a lot. I would install bag bellows but that sort of kills the camera's portability, not to mention that I plan on getting some pretty long lenses eventually. Is there a bag bellows that can be installed while still allowing the camera to fold and use a 240mm or longer lens? That would be the dream option. I'm open to ideas!

Thank you!

The real problem for you is:

You have asked your question after you bought

aka hung by your own petard
    Tin Can

65mm will infinity focus on my 45F2 with a flat board and universal bellows, but you will get almost no movements as the bellows are very compressed.