Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson scan v Vuescan v SilverFast 9

Epson scan v Vuescan v SilverFast 9

When digitizing your negatives, which software do you use? I have positives and quite a few negatives (no pun intended) regarding all three. My initial thoughts were just to go with Epson's scan, but heard good things regarding Vuescan. Years ago I tried SilverFast and was not pleased.

Re: Epson scan v Vuescan v SilverFast 9

This implies a Epson scanner I guess.

My 750s is collecting dust since I found a Flextight presicion III for medium format and large format up to 4x10 and 5x7.
    But beforehand and still for 35mm with a Nikon V I used and use Vuescan.

Great software for getting raw scans that I'll then edit in Capture One and Photoshop.

I have an Epson V850, and depending on the film, I use any one of the three packages you mention at different times. My overall favorite is VueScan, though. I still use Silverfast and Epson's proprietary occasionally.

The algorithms for all three have differences with which I've experimented. There are differences, using the same parameters for Ektachrome, Kodachrome, and the various C-41 emulsions. I keep a small notebook which tells me which I've gotten the best results. I still experiment with all three, and have gotten great results all around.
    Best,
    Dennis

I’m a happy user of silverFast 9 with a V850. I’ve used most of the options out there, they’re all pretty similar if you just intent to get a raw scan to process later in PS. I however enjoy the ME (multiple exposure) option in SF for particularly dense slides, to get a slight Dmax improvement. Not huge but worthwhile.

When I first purchased my (refurbished) Epson 4990, I experimented with all three – Silverfast, Vuescan, EpsonScan.

I thought all three produced excellent results with my 4x5 film, negatives and trannies – I liked EpsonScan the most.

Every single scan of mine on this forum is with the 4990 + EpsonScan. Never a hiccup from either.

Scott Davis

I use Silverfast AI. I tried the EpsonScan software and was unhappy with the results - I find I get a lot more control out of SilverFast AI than I get with the Epson scanning software. I wanted to like VueScan... But when the trial version watermarks (oppressively) the results you get AND hogties you with low resolution so that you cannot tell what its capabilities are, I refuse to purchase something I cannot tell how good it is.

I've happily used Silverfast Ai for 20+ years, currently using Silverfast Ai Studio 8. I do own a copy of Vuescan, but it stopped working for me many years ago. The Epson scanning software works, but IMO it's cumbersome and offers very little control.

I agree with the assessment of Vuescan. I couldn't evaluate my scans because of being so crippled.

I use VueScan, as outlined at length in my post in the current "Epson help" thread. I have never tried Silverfast and didn't like the Epson software. I am not familiar with the trial version of VueScan, since I have owned my license for many years.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Ditto
    Tin Can