Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: What makes a photograph "good"?

Re: What makes a photograph "good"?

One way that a photograph can be good is when it portrays a subject in such a way that it seems both familiar, and strange, at the same time. The "cognitive dissonance" this involves keeps us coming back to look at it. That is actually what got me interested in photography in the first place: The way things somehow look different, when we photograph them. I suspect that the fact that many "traditional" people who are living in the ancient ways find photographs to be creepy or even dangerous may be related to this phenomenon. (If it exists at all; it may just be me.) Of course not all good photographs work this way.

Thus in addition to sometimes being beautiful objects in their own right, photographs can serve as reminders of how much we are missing every day, as we go on living and seeing somewhat carelessly, as though we will be here forever.

In that connection, it is sometimes said that good photographs are everywhere to be made. I'm not sure I agree with that. It might be possibly true in principle, or possible for photographers with more talent than me. But I often struggle to find something new to say when I am in well-familiar territory.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    This thread is just a game - play only if you want to!

So let's define "like" by this: A photograph you "like" is one you would come back to on a regular basis. Maybe you'd hang it on your wall, maybe its in a book that you would look at regularly for enjoyment. Are there photographs that you think are good, but that you don't like, based on that definition of "like?" If so, what attributes might those photographs have that cause you to consider them good? And what attributes do they have or lack that prevent you from liking them?
    There are photos that I like that are not "good". I like them for a whole host of reasons - it could be that it triggers a treasured memory of someone no longer living, or a past event that brought joy. It could be an erotic response. There are lots of reasons. It's that phenomenon Barthes identified as "punctum" - some element to the image that pierces you emotionally. And that element may be entirely personal and invisible to any other viewer. So that makes the photograph "important" but not necessarily "good".

To me, the "good" photograph is something that has punctum that is shareable with other viewers - some element that strikes an emotional chord in (most... if it strikes EVERYONE the same, then it's a cliche, not a good photograph) its viewers. I was going to say it also has aesthetically pleasing qualities, but there are plenty of "good" photographs that are not aesthetic (the Eddie Adams photo of the Vietnamese general assassinating a captured Viet Cong soldier, for example).

I’m a retired professional photographer.

There are basics to learn for making beautiful photographs. Essential to consider when making photographs of people are poising, lighting and composition. I believe I reached the pinnacle of photographing people when I could make photographs of my wife that she likes.

The answer is the same for 'Who make the best beer, car, shotgun, lawn mower, guitar, camera and a host of other things." The answer is who is judging.

Most things are judged by the feel, taste, eye appeal, and other nuances that shape individual opinions.

If I don't tear it in half
    Tin Can

An expensive price tag seems to make a photograph look good to too many collectors.

Thinking out loud about that price tag...sometimes I think that I should just go ahead and ask for one million dollars for one of my 40x60's. I mean...think of the publicity that might attract ("photog asks for one mil for a black and white landscape photo...is he insane"?) - and think also how some collectors ego might be stroked to go ahead and snap it up! Ya think?

(hey...what about that really plain-jane photo of the potato that sold for a million bucks - based solely on a conversation between two folks in a bar? or was it a restaurant? Regardless...sounds like a good measure of ETOH was part of the mix!)

Edit: OK already...I promise I'll come back with something a bit more thoughtful.

Careful what you wish for

Set the trap and do it

anything is fair
    Tin Can

My thoughts exactly! Cats out of the bag so maybe I gotta act soon? In any case...I'll keep y'all posted!

Good lighting in a decent frame.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China