Thread: Berlebach tripod and Induro PHD3 head - overview

Berlebach tripod and Induro PHD3 head - overview

I have only had the Berlebach tripod a few hours and have just played with it. The Induro PHD3 I have had longer.

The tripod is the Uni 17C model (which as far as I can understand means it is from the 10 Series, which is their shorter version. Uni is a bit more strong than the Reporter series and heavier. The C means it comes with leg spreading stops (usually standard on carbon and aluminium tripods). The 7 means it has a levelling ball and central column with a handle to raise and lower it). If I was buying new, I would buy either the flat head or half ball levelling, but I bought this for less than 50% of the new price and the feet werent even dirty, so beggers cannot be choosers As you can see from the photo, it is hardly raised but the camera with its magnifier eyepiece (not shown) is at the right height for me who is 1.79cm or 5'10". The craftsmanship on this tripod is superb, where all the fittings are stable and secure and it locks efficiently and tightly. The camera is around 6.8kg in weight but I always halve the manufacturers ratings for tripods and heads. The tripod itself weighs 7.8Kg in this configuration but should hold 20Kg (10Kg in my estimate, but in this case I think it might handle 20Kg).

The Induro PHD3 tripod head is one of the best designs I have seen - I bought it on a whim as Walmart in the US were selling it at half price. Firstly the clamp locking requires you to pull the knob to fully release the camera - genius design, if like me, with eye to camera you have started unscrewing things to make an adjustment, only for the camera to suddenly be released into your hand or worse, fall to the floor. Second thing I like is, it is a pan, tilt and swivel head. Panning has its own release and marked every 5 degrees. Tilt and swivel are done with one knob, like a ball head. However, tilt is done by turning it 1/8th of a turn and you can tilt forward-back. Turn by 1/2 turn to fully release and you get swivel to the left and right. I do have the Acra Tech Long lens head, as well as the Arca Swiss P0 (which used to be my favourite) but IMHO, the Induro design is innovative and functional and far better for me than a ball head, especially for medium and large format cameras.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Berlebach_Sinar-P2-side.jpg  

Re: Berlebach tripod and Induro PHD3 head - overview

Nice write up--like you I bought the PHD3 heavily discounted and have always wondered why it didn't catch on. About my only gripe is its range of motion is a bit limited compared to a ball head, but otherwise it seems like a lot of "head" for the money. (FWIW, I'm a big believer in wooden tripods--I have a Ries--but I always wanted the Franz Bagy Berlebach, if only for the flecktarn-y camo pattern.)

+1 for the super-cool Bagyi, which now looks like being tall enough. I haven't found the movements limiting, maybe because my 35mm cameras all have a RRS base and right angle plate, so I never need to swing the head by 90 degrees, and I have a levelling head on my tripods.

I learned some valuable lessons on a landscape course in Scotland where I had a 15 year old carbon fibre Velbon tripod and a Sirui head with a small ball which was supposedly rated to 10Kg. When turned to 90 degrees, it could not cope with a pro level DSLR. Miserable experience.

That was when I ordered an Arca Swiss P0 head and the ProMediaGear tripod. The wife understood the expense when shown the failed photos but still felt entitled to being compensated with her own purchases.

Does anyone else have this issue - the real cost of photo equipment is double (or more) the ticket price? For cameras, my solution was to keep them all looking the same so she cannot differentiate when a new one appears and as she once saw the price of old film cameras and that most were just given to me, does not consider them worth mentioning. For lenses, all she knows is I have big, medium and small

Quote Originally Posted by Sandokan View Post
    For cameras, my solution was to keep them all looking the same
    Another great advantage of the Sinar system IMO. Speaking of which, if you've not already tried a Sinar pan/tilt head you might relegate the PHD to your other systems--really quick to use and rock solid.