Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wollensack Velostigmat 12" - your judgement please

Re: Wollensack Velostigmat 12" - your judgement please

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    To most of us that lens would definitely be "not as described"... but have you used the lens yet? Sometimes, shining a light through the back of the lens accentuates "defects" to the point where they look horrendous yet the lens actually performs acceptably. What you show is a very old lens that has, quite obviously, been used a lot and suffered a bit during its lifetime. It is possible, though, that the real impact of the scratching is negligible under most circumstances in which that kind of lens would be used. Sun glare could be a real problem but that is somewhat controllable with a lens shade.

If the price was really good...

Otherwise, it seems that there are others available that might be better options.

I'm not saying the lens is not usable. I have lots of sf lenses but not velistigmat. I have bought it to learn how it performes compare to other. Now i can say which is the effect of lens itself, which is "added" by its condition.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

You are correct, the amount of "surface aging" between the various lenses will be an uncontrolled variable in your assessment.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Scratches. Can not say how much they degrade the image as i dont have nice lens to compare...
    This is not the point. Some ugly lenses gives nice images, the point is "distance" between description and real condition
    I traced back to the original description and photos. Jim actually described it correctly since the lens condition can be seen in his photos. The condition is, of course, somewhat more obvious when illuminated form behind, which he did not do. You actually got a decent deal. That's as objective as I can be.

https://www.ebay.com

Unfortunately, to do comparisons between lenses (and many other things) it is rarely possible with lower-grade/user-grade product. I would consider this lower/user-grade but after seeing the original ad, it is "as described and as depicted". For comparison purposes, I would also be very wary of the fact that it has been "modified". I seem to recall this discussion in the past and probably saw this lens in the past also. The modification always worried me a bit.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 8-Aug-2021 at 14:45.

Given the condition of the lens elements on this Velostigmat, how would it be possible to do any sort of proper evaluation or comparison of this lens?

Basket case, return it for a refund,
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I traced back to the original description and photos. Jim actually described it correctly since the lens condition can be seen in his photos. The condition is, of course, somewhat more obvious when illuminated form behind, which he did not do. You actually got a decent deal. That's as objective as I can be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15452980530...p2047675.l2557

Unfortunately, to do comparisons between lenses (and many other things) it is rarely possible with lower-grade/user-grade product. I would consider this lower/user-grade but after seeing the original ad, it is "as described and as depicted". For comparison purposes, I would also be very wary of the fact that it has been "modified". I seem to recall this discussion in the past and probably saw this lens in the past also. The modification always worried me a bit.
    I did not used seller name nor nick, nor link to the auction. Lets keep it.
    Modification in this case is very simple - just removing the pin that restricts the front element to one turn only. This lens can be used as "sharp" or "zero" setting to "5" as Wollensak designed it. But it can be unscrewed much more for more softness.

"...described it correctly since the lens condition can be seen in his photos" - Sorry I cant properly judge condition of this glass looking at original photos. I see some dust and several very faint cleaning marks. The word "decent" should mean something. Every one can hide real condition of item he/she is selling by taking photos "properly". I have many much older lenses in better condition, so age of an item is not an excuse.

Yes, drastically overstated. I would describe this as EXTREME cleaning marks.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsydog View Post
    Looking at the original auction, Jim's description is fair. Keep in mind you paid a beater price for the lens, A nice version would cost double in this market. As far as waiting for a year for one, why? They have be easily available over the last year, I assume your wait was more to do with budget than availability. You got what you paid for.

You really should have taken your concerns up with Jim before starting down this path on the forum.
    Not agree - it should be properly described with something like: "the price is lower because of its condition" or similar. Maybe its me, but I try to show item real condition to avoid such situations. The buyer decides if he/she agrees to buy damaged item or not.
    "You really should have taken your concerns...." I did not give the name of the seller here...
    Of course I waited for good price - with taxes (more than 30%) it would cost much more. Remember - it is simple tessar with one advantage of possibility to unscrew the front element. I have reworked CZJ 250mm and 360mm for soft focus - reversible but the amount of SF requires more work than simply next turn of the lens. I have moded Industar 300mm and in this case the mod is not reversible but the amount of SF can be continuously regulated. From what I can see on GG Tessars and Industars looks nicer than this Vello. SF lenses more often are used against the sun / light - damaged surface will influence its performance.

I have owned one of these lenses for more years than I remember. The shutter gave up the ghost a couple of years ago and I have been looking for a replacement since. There have been no on theweb anywhere that I search that I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Given the condition of the lens elements on this Velostigmat, how would it be possible to do any sort of proper evaluation or comparison of this lens?

Bernice

Unfortunately not , I`m afraid. The lens us usable of course, but its signature was (I quess) changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice

Unfortunately not , I`m afraid. The lens is usable of course, but its character (I quess) is changed)