Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wollensack Velostigmat 12" - your judgement please

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Wollensack Velostigmat 12" - your judgement please

As a general rule, those sorts of scratches soften the contrast, not the focus. Expect lower contrast negatives with more open but muddier shadow detail. Resolution and spherical aberration (the "soft focus" effect) will be unaffected. (Sale price will be affected.)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    As a general rule, those sorts of scratches soften the contrast, not the focus. Expect lower contrast negatives with more open but muddier shadow detail. Resolution and spherical aberration (the "soft focus" effect) will be unaffected. (Sale price will be affected.)
    Yes Mark, I know that. I think I can handle this. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I concur. I have a Schneider 105mm Xenotar that has a badly damaged front element (looks like someone tried to scrub the coating off with a Brillo pad), and yet it still makes good photographs - loss of contrast and overall softening of values, but still as sharp as the day it was born. Its almost like a Verito. Check it out: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...972a004_3k.jpg