Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a PVC sink: another approach

Building a PVC sink: another approach

Going through old files, I found a 1989 article I wrote for a long-defunct darkroom magazine on building a PVC darkroom sink. (Predates homepage article by 13 years.) There are enough differences in details between the two approaches that I thought it might be of interest here. I have posted a PDF below.

Major takeaways:

⦁ First, safety. Unless one intends to assemble a sink outdoors, a respirator with appropriate solvent cartridges is essential, even in well ventilated indoor spaces.

⦁ It's a stronger design to think of a sink not as a big broad "U", but rather as a big broad "H" – with short legs. Whether plastic or wood, this has a lot of options for reinforcing the attachment of sides to the bottom.

⦁ It's useful to outline your darkroom on graph paper with cut-outs of the sink or sinks all to scale. Can prevent major problems later on. In my case I wanted a sink large enough to accommodate six 20 x 24 trays for black and white. It was clear that one sink that large could never be moved out of the space, or handled by one man. So I decided on two roughly equal sinks. Since I worked left to right, developer(s) to rinse/holding, the design would have the right hand sink a little higher and draining into the left-hand. Used a small sheet of PVC to make a splash/drip shield to hang between sinks. Would I do this again - having one sink drain into another? Possibly not. It was a neat idea, and it worked fine, but made design, precision required, and installation much more complicated. I'd still go with two identical sinks for that space, touching at the ends but plumbed separately.

⦁ Cementing long seams using the cement can's built-in mop was futile. PVC cement has two contradictory behaviors: it will start to dry at one end of the seam before one gets to the other end. At the same time, since it is hygroscopic, any significant moisture in the air will start to bead up all over the cement. Solid weld is impossible. The solution, after applying PVC primer, was to use a big veterinary syringe to lay down an ample wavy line of cement and then slide pieces back and forth to distribute it until everything began to grab, followed by multiple C-clamps. (Most plastic syringes are nylon or other which are not attacked by PVC cement.)

⦁ I used extruded PVC 'L's to cement sides and bottom together – .75 x .75 x .080 on the inside; 1.5 x 1.5 x 3/16 below. The small ones from Gehr Plastics were a perfect 90° outside, but the big ones from the local supply house were not. One side had to be run through the tablesaw to square it up. Whatever shapes you use, it's well worth making sure that they're square before ordering.

⦁ Speaking of table saws: I worked a trade to cut all the pieces with one of my bigger clients, a cabinet shop who had really big Delta industrial table saws. I imagine cutting 4 x 8 sheets on a small tablesaw or with hand saws is possible, but…

⦁ "Dump troughs": these were not a needless complication. Extremely handy in getting rid of one tray's contents without slopping it into the main sink or contaminating adjacent trays. Would definitely build those in again, but YMMV.

⦁ And yes, there are several places where I was trying to look 'clever' with my verbiage. Cringe-worthy. No need to point them out!

sink article.pdf, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sink overall.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	218427, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	from end.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	218429, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dump trough detail.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	218430

For members who are seriously contemplating a new sink build in the near future, I still have several pristine copies of this issue. PM me.

Finally - I had to sell these many years ago when I moved from Bellingham, WA to Colorado. If anyone in western Washington has seen or acquired these, I'd love to know. Hopefully still used in a darkroom, though I suppose they might be used for gutting fish or potting ferns....
    Last edited by Chuck S.; 8-Aug-2021 at 11:34.

Re: Building a PVC sink: another approach

More photos and drawings. Drawings were done on a Mac Plus with MacDraft or similar, so...

Third photo shows removable connection between sinks from below. Fourth photo shows upper sink draining into lower, with bit of the splash/drip shield between sinks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails end view.jpg   coupling detail.jpg   upper to lower couplings.jpg   upper drain to lower.jpg  

Drawings in previous post not sharp. See these pdf's.

end view.pdf coupling detail.pdf

Also, more photos - drain detail (another similar drain inside dump trough without standpipe) and inside corner detail:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drain.jpg   corner detail.jpg  

Thanks for this post. It’s very good timing as I was thinking about how to go about once again making a sink. When I made my original sink out of PVC I used it as a liner for a wood sink not knowing how much PVC would expand when using warm water ……..

I have send a PM

Very nice! Thanks for posting!

Just checked with GEHR Plastics website.
    https://www.gehrplastics.com/

Here are all their grey PVC 'L' shapes:

Product Search - GEHR Plastics Inc.pdf

Drew Wiley

Multipurpose plumbing cements are available which do not dry quite as fast as ordinary PVC cement, but there are different kinds of even that. And as far as small shops go, a good rail saw like a Festool will cut it better than any table saw, provided you have the right kind of plastics blade on it, and a long enough captured guide rail. But any such sink should have a reinforcing fillet solvent welded into every sheet intersection and corner. I personally went with a heat-welded polypropylene sheet sink instead, which is chemically inert. But that required help from someone with the appropriate equipment and skill background.

Rail saw an excellent suggestion, but I don't remember (32 years on!) if the shop I used had one. Choice of tools was their call, anyway.

Every joint and corner was reinforced with solvent welded 3/4" L's on the inside and outside for vertical joints, and 3/4" L on the inside and 1 1/2" L underneath for horizontal. Only the dump trough dam had 'L' on just one side, but it was double thickness @ 3/8inch (see dwg). Every L also got a solvent fillet applied to every inch of both edges after set up using the syringe. As you say, every intersection and corner, even if a bit of excess wasn't pretty.

Also, the round top rails were 1/2" schedule 80 PVC pipe. Installed for both comfort and added rigidity. The slots were cut with a dado blade on the table saw, 3/16" for sides, 3/8" for dam. Took two people to feed and pull because pipe really wanted to cork screw going through the blade, relieving (or maybe introducing) stress in the pipe. Probably cut 25% extra to get sufficient straight enough to use. Rails were also solvent welded on with cement applied to top of walls and pipe 'lips', followed by cement fillets applied to edges. Made walls quite stiff, even if only 3/16" plate.

Your PVC sink looks great!

I do wonder about the perforated (under tray) mat...do you clean this on both sides after use? Looks like there are little "dimples" on outer surfaces which would act as holdoffs between this mat and the sink bottom...possibly helping to avoid trapping of contaminants over time. Otherwise I would worry about this.

Drew Wiley

Portable rail saws weren't available in the US 32 years ago. Stationary panel saws were; but the good ones of those are far more expensive (say, $70,000 versus $700). I made my own dedicated panel saw for plastic sheeting prior to using a portable Festool rail saw. But in both cases I had the advantage of inside deals as a pioneering dealer. The correct kind of blade for the specific material is very important. A sink is a fairly elementary project. This kind of gear has been invaluable in many other ways, all the way from making acrylic slot washers to cabinetry for both the darkroom and the house, even precise fabrication of phenolic colorhead housing components, not to mention all kinds of general remodeling applications both indoors and outdoors. For example, being able to fabricate cabinet components on site in the my house in the mountains (now sold) saved me thousands of dollars in gasoline alone versus if I had had to cut and assemble things here using traditional stationary cabinet shop equipment, and had needed use a much larger truck to transport the result. The third benefit of the newer Festool equipment is that's it's far cleaner, being especially well designed for integral Hepa vac hookup.