Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B&W Filter Selection

B&W Filter Selection

This may be in the wrong forum section because this is a bit of a gear question, but the results of the gear is all about technique. So maybe we're good....

I recently picked up a Rodenstock 115mm that uses 82mm threads. I'm now converting my B&W filters from 67mm to 82mm. My current collection consists of a #8 Yellow, #15 Dark Yellow and #25 Red. I want to use Heliopan and have already picked up the #8 and #25, BUT they discontinued the #15.

Here's what I can say about these filters....the #8 is one that I use when I don't have a lot of sky otherwise it's just not strong enough to cut the blue. The #25 Red is just pretty dramatic and to me more specific to obtaining a certain mood, but not always practical. As a result the #15 is my most used filter, BUT, I also find that it's often just not enough when cutting the blue UV and I'd like a little bit more.

So the question is, does that mean I should look to a #16 or the #22?

Heliopan makes the #22 but not the #16 (in 82mm threads). B+W makes the #16.

So to achieve somewhere in-between the #15 and #25, would you suggest the #16 or #22. Please don't say both!! That's where I'd like to go, but don't think I need to go.

You might be asking, what do I shoot!!

Pretty much desert landscape. Lots of sky with clouds and green and brown. TONS of texture. The desert can be very busy as you know and contrast is important.

Over to you. Many thanks!!
    Anything in life worth having is worth sharing.

Re: B&W Filter Selection

Heliopan still lists the 15 filter in both coated and MC versions on their price list at Heliopan.de. Have you asked the factory or only the distributor?

This is the Heliopan link for the #15: https://heliopan.com/products/dark-y...12657397432383

B&H says it's "discontinued" in 82mm, but it has it in stock in other sizes.

Wow that's interesting.

I ordered the #8, #15 and #25 through B&H and all were backordered. The #8 and #25 eventually we're delivered but the #15 kept sliding.... eventually B&H refunded the cost and said the manufacturer has discontinued that type. Adorama doesn't even show the #15 anymore.

But, even then....I still think I was to go with a bit stronger of a filter than the #15. Based on some other reading I'm thinking the #16 is the way to go, but I was hoping someone had some experience with both and might offer some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    This is the Heliopan link for the #15: https://heliopan.com/products/dark-y...12657397432383

B&H says it's "discontinued" in 82mm, but it has it in stock in other sizes.
    Then send an email to Margot at Heliopan in Germany and ask her.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Tiffen has an 82mm Deep Yellow glass filter and it's currently in stock at B&H for just $36.95. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...5.html/reviews I bought the 4" version from B&H about a year ago.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

I find a 22 deep orange to be especially useful. Heliopan has them, but pricey in 82mm. You get what you pay for. And instead of deep yellow, you could use a light orange Hoya G; they offer excellent multicoated ones at reasonable pricing. Another option would be Hoya's light yellow-green XO filter; I find these more useful than any yellow per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I find a 22 deep orange to be especially useful. Heliopan has them, but pricey in 82mm. You get what you pay for. And instead of deep yellow, you could use a light orange Hoya G; they offer excellent multicoated ones at reasonable pricing. Another option would be Hoya's light yellow-green XO filter; I find these more useful than any yellow per se.
    Ok so you're a fan of the #22 then. Do you have experience with the #16?

Also do you have experience with the #25? If so, do you find enough separation between the #22 and #25? What mean is do they look different enough from each other or does the #22 just look like a less agressive version of the #25. Would you say the #22 is closer to a #15 or #16 in how it adjusts for blue sky OR more similar to a #25?

I clearly don't mind paying for what I get. I dropped over $400 in just three Heliopan filters. I'm happy to get the #22 Heliopan, but I just want to be sure I wouldn't rather have the #16. In which case I'll go with the B+W.

Thx!!

Drew Wiley

I haven't used anything directly equivalent to a 16 in the past forty years. Just too close to a basic yellow. I only rarely use the Hoya light orange, even less often any yellow filter. I do use a light yellow-green sometimes. Deep orange 22 very very often, also 25 red very often. With most pan films, a light yellow 8 requires a one EV filter factor, a 22 orange 2 EV, a 25 red 3 EV. That's a nice even spacing. Another indispensable one always in my kit is a medium green Hoya X1, which differs between films, with a 2 EV factor with TMax films, but 2-1/2 EV for most Ilford pan films. But everyone has their preferences. I just like to simplify things as much as possible, especially since I often carry correction filters for color film too. One can overthink all this.

But since yellow filters are relatively abundant, yet 22 deep orange is down to only one maker at this point, I'd latch ahold of the latter while you still can. In a pinch you could use a Tiffen 24A, which is about halfway between a 24A and 25, but not of the same premium quality as Heliopan, B&W, or Hoya. Tiffens aren't coated, so collect condensation easily and need cleaning quite often. I personally keep spares of 22 in my most commonly used diameters, namely 67mm and 52mm. But I need 82mm only for two specific lenses, so haven't purchased spares of that size.

Desert photography can be different from more common landscape needs. Since most desert contains a lot of reddish or ochre hues, these will look bleached out if you choose, yellow, orange, or red filters. Often the best choice under such circumstances to deeper those hues as well as produce more contrast in the sky is a medium green filter. It might be quite difficult to find either a Heliopan or B&W on of those. The Hoya X1 is common and excellent. But since forested areas as often adjacent to desert in the Southwest, you will need 22 and 25 filters along too. Yellow has a minimal effect with modern films and present atmospheric conditions, so I never personally bother with yellow filters on those trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    One can overthink all this.
    I'll take that risk and ask you how you carry your filters in the field. I'm currently using filter caps with the idea that the "stack" is the most efficient use of space, but given the blood/mud/sweat/snot that accumulates over the course of a day I could imagine having to manipulate more than one filter at a time might be a risky proposition.