Thread: Super Graphic Battery Alternative

Super Graphic Battery Alternative

Super Graphic Battery Alternative. I have found it impossible to find a useable alternative for the now discontinued Eveready #412, 22 1/2 volt battery. Never inexpensive, they did last a long time and the last set I bought still work. But for replacement? The electric shutter is one of the best Super Graphic features and it seems a shame to loose it.
    Amazon does sell 22 1/2 v. 412 replacements by the Excell brand for about $22.50 but they won’t fit the SG. The distance between terminals is OK and they do fit Geiger Counters and other such applications but the width and thickness are just a little too big to fit a SG. The current Amazon offering doesn’t have the curved sides of the Eveready at all and the previous Shiqiang brand version is still too big.
    I suppose you could try filing out the opening in the SG but I have found an easier and less expensive way.
    Amazon sells the Excell 505, 22 1/2 v battery for as little as $11.80 but you have to search for it as Excel 505. It is the right length but round, like an AA.
    It is easy to make a sled to adapt them for the SG. Cut a thin piece of plastic or card stock to the dimensions shown. (I used a piece of an old dark slide) Instant glue a couple of pieces of 3/16 stock about 3/8” high on the sides and cut a piece of foam about 13.8mm wide the height of the batteries. Assemble the batteries onto the sled and slip in the Super Graphic, slide in the keeper panel and you are all set!
    If you have another alternative this would be a good place to post it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SG battery 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	218414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SG battery 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	218415

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Super Graphic Battery Alternative

Thank you. Great suggestion!

Like you, I really like the SG electric release. When batteries became hard to find I retired mine but might put it back in service again.

This is great Bart, I need the 505 for my Honeywell Flash, which is a tiny miracle

Cords are the bigger problem, got one that solved that and I am back in Flash

Honeywell Flash by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

I hadn't used mine for a while retiring the 1000 shutter for a service. But when I tried it again the batteries were flat. I came across this solution using CR2032 batteries in a 3D printed holder I found on Thinginiverse. www.thingiverse.com/thing:2907310 A bit fiddly to trim, fit and assemble. Unfortunately it seems that either my capacitors have died or there is break in the circuit.

Like the solution using the Exell 505 batteries. The only thing with these replacement batteries is that the capacity is far lower than the original 412s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4e54363977c964ac9ad0d905360711f0_preview_featured.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	221435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7958e8c8fe5252735acc5f5943e02f8f_preview_featured.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	221437

16 lr44s split into 2 stacks of 8 would work too.