Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technika III with Fujinon 90mm f/5.6

Linhof Technika III with Fujinon 90mm f/5.6

Hey all,
    I recently purchased a Fujinon 90mm f/5.6 for my Linhof Technika III. Much to my surprise, the diameter of the rear element is a few millimeters bigger than the hole in the front standard. Anyone with a Technika III have a similar lens they recommend? I'm currently shooting night scenes in my neighborhood I Los Angeles so I'm looking for lenses fast enough to focus in the dark.
    Thanks!

Re: Linhof Technika III with Fujinon 90mm f/5.6

I shoot slower lenses on my Tek III in LA at night also, but there's usually enough light in the city at night to barely see enough to focus and frame once your eyes adjust... Washing your GG + fresnel helps a little, or getting a brighter screen helps, but note the III screens are a specific thickness and generic screens may not focus at the same point as your film plane, so you need one that matches that distance in camera... Make sure if you take apart screen assembly to wash that everything goes back in exactly as when you started... Dishwashing liquid + running water is fine, but note lines on GG might wash off...

Lens can be used, but with the inconvenience of removing rear element, putting lens on camera, removing back, then screwing on rear inside camera... (Tedious, and don't fumble anything!!!)

I'm using a SA 90mm/f8 and I can barely see through it wide open, or use the optical finder to see where the edges end up... After awhile, it kinda happens by feel...

And go to Harbor Fright to buy one of those ultra super bright LED flashlights to help you see/focus at night...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Small town, South Carolina, US

FYI, the rear diameter of the Rodenstock 90 4.5 Grandagon-N is 70mm.

According to a Horseman catalog, the LF Topcor 90/5.6 by Horseman has a removable protection ring at the back to enable the lens to be used on the Horseman FA etc. (About 66mm.)

Camera imposes HARD limits on what lenses could be used. Or why image goals first, then lenses needed to achieve these image goals, then camera no greater than third in this priority list.

An alternative to the 90mm f5.6 Fujinon or similar f5.6 wide angle lens would be the Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f6.8 has a rear element diameter of 60mm, should just fit.

This is one of the fixed-given trade-offs of the Linhof Technika lens board. Yes, they are small, they impose a hard limit on what lenses can be used.

If the largest aperture 90mm lens is a must, two lenses fit this requirement. 90mm f4.5 SW Nikkor (Nikon) or 90mm f4.5 Grandagon (Rodenstock). Either lens
    has sufficient image circle and optical performance to work on 4x5 at f4.5, both will demand a different camera due to the diameter of the rear element.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by lowesco View Post
    Hey all,
    I recently purchased a Fujinon 90mm f/5.6 for my Linhof Technika III. Much to my surprise, the diameter of the rear element is a few millimeters bigger than the hole in the front standard. Anyone with a Technika III have a similar lens they recommend? I'm currently shooting night scenes in my neighborhood I Los Angeles so I'm looking for lenses fast enough to focus in the dark.
    Thanks!

I don't suppose putting it through on the diagonal and letting it drop down then would work?

I have a Technika iii standard with a 70.8mm hole for reference.

The hole in a Technika iv is 84mm wide.

My wide angle for the Technika is a 100/6.3 Wide Field Ektar.

They are tiny compared to the Grandagon 90/6.8 but it's possible to run out of image circle quite easily.

Last edited by Sean Mac; 7-Aug-2021 at 11:18. Reason: add technika iv dimension

I don't suppose putting it through on the diagonal and letting it drop down then would work?
    Unfortunately it doesn't. The circular hole in the front standard is just too small. I'll try to post a picture so poor people like me don't make the same mistake I did!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210808_003259384.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	218459
    Last edited by lowesco; 7-Aug-2021 at 17:59. Reason: Missing Quote

Thanks for the measurements Sean. I was looking at the lens cap for the rear element on the Fujinon 90mm f 5.6 and it said 80mm for the rear cap. Way to big for the Technika III.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Camera imposes HARD limits on what lenses could be used. Or why image goals first, then lenses needed to achieve these image goals, then camera no greater than third in this priority list.

An alternative to the 90mm f5.6 Fujinon or similar f5.6 wide angle lens would be the Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f6.8 has a rear element diameter of 60mm, should just fit.

This is one of the fixed-given trade-offs of the Linhof Technika lens board. Yes, they are small, they impose a hard limit on what lenses can be used.

If the largest aperture 90mm lens is a must, two lenses fit this requirement. 90mm f4.5 SW Nikkor (Nikon) or 90mm f4.5 Grandagon (Rodenstock). Either lens
    has sufficient image circle and optical performance to work on 4x5 at f4.5, both will demand a different camera due to the diameter of the rear element.

Bernice
    Thanks Bernice, I'll check out the Rodenstock f6.8.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    FYI, the rear diameter of the Rodenstock 90 4.5 Grandagon-N is 70mm.

According to a Horseman catalog, the LF Topcor 90/5.6 by Horseman has a removable protection ring at the back to enable the lens to be used on the Horseman FA etc. (About 66mm.)
    Interesting. That should fit!