Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arca Swiss F line Metric 4x5"

Re: Arca Swiss F line Metric 4x5"

Quote Originally Posted by Fermat View Post
    Hi all
    .... What's max focal length can be used on the standard version?
    Thanks
    Mario
    Mario
    Hi!

I have been using this camera for many years.
    If you go for a telephoto lens, you can focus telephoto lenses with focal lengths over 300 mm with the universal leather bellows of the 4x5" F-metric Field.
    For example I use a 360 mm tele-arton that requires only 210 mm of bellows draw at infinity.
    Probably the longest focal length you can use among modern LF lenses is the Schneider 400 mm apo tele xenar with a flange-focal distance of 285 mm.

I have a Nikon M 300mm.

Mario
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Fermat View Post
    I have a Nikon M 300mm.
    Mario
    For the 300 mm Nikon M the flange-focal distance is about 294mm.
    You'll be able to focus at infinity, but not at one metre of distance ,)

Understood.
    I normally use 300m at infinity.
    Thanks

Mario
    Mario

Mario,
    I use the camera with both the telescopic rail and the folding rail depending on how I’m using it.

With the folding rail I normally carry the 150mm extension rail, without it on the 300mm rail I find you don’t have much room to move with a 300mm lens. Others experience will be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are ways to conserve on weight with the Arca system. By those standards, my system is kind of heavy. I have a 300mm bench (some have called this a base) into which I can slide two Type I (older rails)15cm rails. And, I have full sized, 171mm standards.

But back to lighter weights, it's possible to avoid the bench entirely, which can be relatively heavy. For example, you could begin with a single 15cm, Type II rail onto which you can slide both 4x5 function carriers and standards at the same time. I do this with my camera (onto the older Type I 15cm rail), and it makes it easy to stow my camera in a backpack. Arca also makes Type II monorail extensions that can extend the length of the 15cm Type II rail. (Type II rails are the standard, now.). For an extra long rail, one could get two Type II monorail extensions and attach both to either side of the 15cm Type II rail. These extensions also work with longer Type II rails.

Avoiding the bench is OK for 4x5 and 6x9 cameras. But for 8x10, you'll probably want a 40cm or longer bench.

It's pretty easy to find adapters that will attach onto any tripod head that will clamp the bottom of a Type II rail. So again, no need for the bench.

For a really light weight, easy to use system, Arca sells a D4 tripod head that's quite light weight, has a capacity of 60 lbs, and is gear driven. They can be purchased new with the clamp needed for Type II rails. Very sweet system, but the D4 tripod head is quite expensive.

I think that you're correct to stick with the 141mm standards, especially since they're lighter weight than the 171mm standards, and more compact. Plus, they work with new 8x10 Arca conversion kits. I don't care so much about weight, and I tend to prefer my 171mm system. But, it's getting harder to find accessories and Arca bellows for this older equipment.

Here's a dated catalog that shows some of the above equipment. Unfortunately, it does not include information about 141mm format frames and standards.

https://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/c...era-system.pdf

I'm not aware of a comprehensive catalog for current Arca Swiss equipment. Some people refer to the B&H website for information. (www.bhphotovideo.com.)

Another good source of information is the Rod Klukas website (USA Arca Rep) at www.rodklukas.com.

And, Tom Westbrook's page: http://www.tomwestbrook.com/Photography/arca_swiss.html.

I have the F Metric Field version that has 110mm front standard size, much more compact and lighter than the standard 141mm version. I opted for the Orbix control on the front standard, which is really nice. The bellows is conical and packs up in a thin "sandwich" that doesn't take any more thickness than the folding rail itself, so about 15cm collapsed, 30cm extended, and I too carry a 15cm extension rail.

The main downside of this setup in my mind is the 110mm front standard means that if I want to convert sometime in the future to 8x10 I will have to replace both standards and bellows, rather than just the rear standard and bellows. With the rising cost of 8x10 film and the added weight and bulk, I might just stick with 4x5. Between it and medium format I feel I cover most of what I like to shoot pretty well.

All of this mounts on a D4 Arca head, and as Neil points out, you can mount the rail directly on the D4 head as it's the same width as the bench, which coincidentally is the same width as a standard Arca mount plate. I considered the Arca Cube head as well, but the D4 seemed to be a bit lighter, smaller, and the gearing offers much of the same precision as the Cube.

The whole kit packs quite handily into a shoulder-carry Lowe bag with 90mm, 150mm and 210mm lens, dark cloth, light meter, loupe, and a few film holders. Still looking for a 300-350mm option, haven't quite landed on one yet.

Arca-Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    I have the F Metric Field version that has 110mm front standard size, much more compact and lighter than the standard 141mm version. I opted for the Orbix control on the front standard, which is really nice. The bellows is conical and packs up in a thin "sandwich" that doesn't take any more thickness than the folding rail itself, so about 15cm collapsed, 30cm extended, and I too carry a 15cm extension rail.

The main downside of this setup in my mind is the 110mm front standard means that if I want to convert sometime in the future to 8x10 I will have to replace both standards and bellows, rather than just the rear standard and bellows. With the rising cost of 8x10 film and the added weight and bulk, I might just stick with 4x5. Between it and medium format I feel I cover most of what I like to shoot pretty well.

All of this mounts on a D4 Arca head, and as Neil points out, you can mount the rail directly on the D4 head as it's the same width as the bench, which coincidentally is the same width as a standard Arca mount plate. I considered the Arca Cube head as well, but the D4 seemed to be a bit lighter, smaller, and the gearing offers much of the same precision as the Cube.

The whole kit packs quite handily into a shoulder-carry Lowe bag with 90mm, 150mm and 210mm lens, dark cloth, light meter, loupe, and a few film holders. Still looking for a 300-350mm option, haven't quite landed on one yet.
    If you would forgo the MicroOrbix tilt mechanism, then when switching to 8x10 you could just move the rear frame to the front carrier and add the format kit. You might get a 141 to 110 lens board adapter to help hold down the weight and bulk. Later you could if you decided you wanted the MicroOrbix tilt, buy the front frame with it mounted later on and switch then, But you could hold off for now.

8x10 is a whole different experience, especially when composing.

Anyway, let me know if you have more questions.

Be well,

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

One of the advantages I see for 110/140 is that you can use one single bellows to manage from WA to 300mm.
    With 141/141 you need one bellows for WA and one for standard... Am I right?

Ciao

Mario
    Mario