Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dichroic Head for Beseler 45 V-XL

Dichroic Head for Beseler 45 V-XL

Guys, I need help! I purchased a Beseler 45 V-XL and I need a light source for B&W printing. I understand dichroic lamps can work well. I’m at a loss for what to purchase. I’ve read that the older Beseler dichroic heads can have an electrical fault and I don’t want to solder stuff to fix it. How about an Omega head with a mounting adapter? Any other brands/models? I don’t want to spend a boat load of money-I’m looking for a ylamp that will do the job. Thanks!

Re: Dichroic Head for Beseler 45 V-XL

Have you considered the condenser head? I have been a die hard user of color heads because of the diffusion. But i just got a 45v-xl with the condenser head. Once I adjusted for the higher grade of the head. Ive been very happy with it. Especially knowing its a very simple head compared to a color head. Im using the above head 6x6 ilford filters and its been a very easy adjustment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    Have you considered the condenser head? I have been a die hard user of color heads because of the diffusion. But i just got a 45v-xl with the condenser head. Once I adjusted for the higher grade of the head. Ive been very happy with it. Especially knowing its a very simple head compared to a color head. Im using the above head 6x6 ilford filters and its been a very easy adjustment for me.
    Will the condenser head produce just as good results? Someone told me to get a variable contrast cold lamp, but I have no clue as to that either. It’s all very confusing to me.

In my eyes, they are just as good. I always like the smoothness that the diffusion delivered, but once i got the condenser dialed in, they had the smoothness. Scratches and dust are more pronounced on the condenser head but, for the simplicity that the condenser head is, i think i will keep using it. I could easily take the same negative, print it both under diffusion and condenser, and one would not be able to tell the difference. Actually did it with a 6x6 negative under a 23c ii, used both heads and the prints looked identical.

Photographer

With a quality enlarger like that, I'd get a Heiland.
    Keith Pitman

Drew Wiley

A Heiland? Fine if one can afford it. But that's like back when certain fun people would mount an imitation Rolls Royce hood ornament on the front of a VW beetle. A Beseler chassis will be functional, but not deluxe. As already postured, it would be easy to adapt a Chromega colorhead. They do everything one would need, whether VC paper or actual color printing. Of course, one should seek one in good condition, including the power supply. But they're abundant and often highly affordable these days. Condenser heads - well, I'm gonna get some pushback - but that would be kinda retro or arcane. Colorheads are so much more convenient when it comes to VC paper and illumination evenness.

There's no better light source than the Heiland LED system. Period. And it is entirely appropriate for any enlarger. I've had one on my smaller Beseler for years. I'll likely get one for my 45 V-XL with Beseler 8x10 conversion soon, replacing the Aristo currently installed that requires filters for contrast control.

On the less expensive side the Beseler Dichro dg head doesn’t have the electronic maladies of the 45s heads, and they are very inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by brucetaylor View Post
    On the less expensive side the Beseler Dichro dg head doesn’t have the electronic maladies of the 45s heads, and they are very inexpensive.
    Some of the older ones require a fan unit though. Mine didn't come with one so I fashioned one out of some powerful computer fans and some ducting the same size as the inlet on the head. The airflow is supposed to pull air through the head, not blow into it I believe.

I managed to acquire a Zone VI cold light head with a power stabilizer for my 45MXT.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian