Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Saunders/LPL 4500 II - Troubleshooting Light Projection Issue

Re: Saunders/LPL 4500 II - Troubleshooting Light Projection Issue

Before I consider stripping my medium format box...what do you guys think of the condition of the box? I'm attaching an image of the inside. It seems that the yellow-ing is actually just the masking tape inside and the Styrofoam seems in ok condition actually!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.44.14 AM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	218589

Looking at that I am wondering if someone didn't take a 4x5 box and just add more styrofoam inside it. That looks like a bodge job. You might have been sitting on a 4x5 box all along. I'd take out that styrofoam. You'll probably be in business. Looks like you might be lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by xvelids View Post
    Before I consider stripping my medium format box...what do you guys think of the condition of the box? I'm attaching an image of the inside. It seems that the yellow-ing is actually just the masking tape inside and the Styrofoam seems in ok condition actually!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.44.14 AM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	218589
    As long as the box is structurally OK, everything should be fine if you buy the 4x5 EPS foam liner and diffuser. Mine's not accessible right now to open and examine, but I suspect there wouldn't be any masking tape involved with the 4x5 box. If memory serves, its foam fits snugly inside the metal and is held by the diffuser. Even if there is a need to secure the foam in place, a well-placed drop of super glue ought do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    Looking at that I am wondering if someone didn't take a 4x5 box and just add more styrofoam inside it. That looks like a bodge job. You might have been sitting on a 4x5 box all along. I'd take out that styrofoam. You'll probably be in business. Looks like you might be lucky.
    - That's really disconcerting! I'm curious to know how to differentiate the 4x5 mixing box from the 6x7 mixing box then? When I was looking at the box, it did strike me as unprofessional because the masking tape was really poorly applied.

If I take out the Styrofoam...all I have to do is insert this liner? I'm attaching the link - http://store.khbphotografix.com/Line...-Chambers.html And yes, the mixing box is structural sound, but the styrofoam is quite flimsy.

I wouldn't need the diffusion panel...would I? I might just purchase extra to have because sourcing these parts is proving to me fairly stressful!

Also, now that it's come to my attention that enlarger mixing box had issues...how should I check in on the condition of the dichroic module? My understanding was that the contrast filters were fade free, but should I have a look at that too?

...If I take out the Styrofoam...all I have to do is insert this liner?...
    Yes.

...I wouldn't need the diffusion panel...would I?...
    Scroll up and look at the image of all three mixing boxes. The medium format box's panel exhibits a circular pattern around its area of coverage. The 4x5 panel doesn't. I'd say the answer to your question is "yes."

...how should I check in on the condition of the dichroic module? My understanding was that the contrast filters were fade free, but should I have a look at that too?
    Not really necessary unless you detect mechanical problems operating their controls or their effect on printing changes.