Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drying Clips

Re: Drying Clips

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Doesn't anyone make Carbon Fibre clips? Or maybe Ries wooden with special anti shake properties to help the film dry smoother?
    Touché!
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    I use mosquito size surgical forceps. They won't let go when the surgeon clamps a tiny artery and they will always hold a slippery bit of wet film by the tiniest corner.
    Locking tweezers available in bulk (12-24) off Amazon or on eBay work great. Cutting the top hanger part for them to hang from a wire along the darkroom's ceiling can be a challenge if one overthinks on how to do it.

Photographer

Wooden clothes pins. Inexpensive and hold better than plastic clothespins. Drill holes in the ends so you can run the line (stainless picture wire) through the holes and get more negatives on the line.
    Keith Pitman

lab black

You may want to explore stainless steel, spring loaded, single point clips which is what I use. Kodak used to sell them as "Dental Clips." However, they are difficult to find. Precise Canada offers a similar version on the major selling site; $14.49 for seven clips.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

I use the 4*5 holder of the Combi Plan developing tank in a Jobo Mistral film drying cabinet (I do not run hot air along the films, only before I place the film holder). The film holder is placed in the dryer with a wooden clothes pin..;-)..

best,

Cor

I steal the big paper clips from work. the kind that look like this:

They're a bit challenging to keep outside the image area, but not that hard.

Dental film clips. I find these easier and safer to use than an other. If your dentist has switched to digital, ask if he has clips laying around.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

For 135 I use either the Jobo or Kalt clips – the latter of which I bought several at a camera show for 25
    cents each. For 4x5 I have been using the B&H code DEFC10 for the past 20 years. When using this clip it is necessary that you clip the entire portion of the rebate area and not just the very tip otherwise the weight of the negative will cause it to slip out onto the floor. However just 1 DEFC10 will not hold an 8x10 negative. For those I purchased a small Fiskers punch that punches a hole about the same size as on the Fuji negatives and hang the negative on a paperclip held by a DEFC10. Works perfect and the negative hung by a corner will never hit the ground. The key to using this is to carefully observe the location on the negative where the hole will be punched before you punch it. I do this at the end of the PhotoFlo stage. You can see on the punch exactly on the rebate area where the hole will be punched. Of course this will also work for 4x5 and 5x7 negatives. The retail prices of the DEFC10 and Kalt clips have skyrocketed since I purchased them.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Wooden clothes pins. They have worked fine for me for almost 40 years. I don't think I'll change anytime soon.

Doremus
    +1

I like the Paterson or Doran clips. The Paterson's are weighted for the few times I use roll film and their teeth fit right on the rebate of sheet film. Tip for the paterson clips, use electrical tape to reduce the hanger side opening so it doesn't come off a thin drying wire. I have also used sheet film developing hangers in a drying cabinet.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Clip_Set.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Paper_and.html

$15 for 2 sounds expensive but I just order them with other purchases and they last a life time. I now have a dozen and rarely use all of them. Or watch for someone cleaning out their darkroom and get em free/cheap.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography