Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drying Clips

Drying Clips

What do you use for drying clips? I've been using these https://www.amazon.com/Aligle-Portab.../dp/B01AC6LL90. While they're OK for 35mm and 120, they're terrible for 4x5. It's always a choice between leaving a mark on the image, or risking the film dropping while drying. Two of my better shots ended up on the floor recently.

Re: Drying Clips

KODAK Film Clips, they can hold two 5X7 and up to 14X17 using both pinpoint clips on a rod. Tightly, no marks!

Nobody told me, I found them by chance when I bought 12 in NOS box.

A member recently SOLD his. I berated him, he didn't know...

Look closely at the very tip I am holding open

1 clip by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

4 Clips by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Hard to find
    Tin Can

Wooden clothes pins. They have worked fine for me for almost 40 years. I don't think I'll change anytime soon.

Doremus

For sheet film I use plastic clothes pins.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Doesn't anyone make Carbon Fibre clips? Or maybe Ries wooden with special anti shake properties to help the film dry smoother?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I tend to use Paterson or old Jobo clips with pins/teeth for roll film. For sheets I use the Delta stainless ones (B&H code DEFC10 for one source).

I have used wooden clothes pegs, usually as weights. Reversing them in the springs gives a smaller gripping area and less risk of water drops.

my first preference are Jobo clips, then Patterson. Jobo's teeth are set kinda wide which I like for 120 film and the teeth are fine enough for sheet film.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Before developing the sheet film I use a pin registration punch to put a couple of holes in the edge of the sheet film. With a set of wire cutters I trim paper clips so that one half of the circle of the paper clip goes over the hanging bar and the other one fits perfectly through the hole in the sheet film. I hang then in my Arkay drying cabinet to dry without any air flow or heat. I covered all of the air flow holes and put two filters one the top of the drying cabinet. No scratches, water drops or dust ever and I live in dry Colorado. Works like a champ.

I also use my clips for 14X36" film developing

One on each, both points engaged I can see saw X-Ray very quickly in 2" deep chems and wash under red light

I also hang to dry over my wet sink, and shut the DR door until morning
    Tin Can

I use mosquito size surgical forceps. They won't let go when the surgeon clamps a tiny artery and they will always hold a slippery bit of wet film by the tiniest corner.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".