Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light weight 4X5 gear backpack recommendations

Re: Light weight 4X5 gear backpack recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    It got so the backpacks and bags weighed more than the stuff. It was time to rethink. I've always carried my camera mounted to the tripod resting on my shoulder. Dark cloth with a padded insert is used to pad my shoulder. Camera is a Chamonix. Tripod is a FLMCANADA that weighs just under 2#. (this is an amazing tripod.) A cheap ball head is half pound.

My camera bag is the smallest shoulder bag made by Ape Case. Envoy.
    In the bag is
    90/6.8 angulon
    135/5.6 fujinon
    240/9 fujinon
    PocketSpot light meter
    spare battery
    3 film holders w/ FP4
    Gel filters and a VOSS filter holder
    Toyo loupe
    Viewing filter
    'energy bar'
    Lens cleaning cloth
    Library pencil

Lenses are protected by the bubble pack envelopes from so many little packages received.

If I think I'm going to need some other lens, then I'll toss one out and grab another. FP4 can do just about anything I need, but in special circumstances, I may grab some other films.
    Nice focal length selection!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I've always carried my camera mounted to the tripod resting on my shoulder.
    I like this alternative, once arriving at the location - but with the latest iteration of the Intrepid, I am not sure that it is a good idea - due to what I consider a severe design flaw - the base plate of the camera is about 3mm thick, and the focusing mechanism rides just barely 1mm above that. If you screw the tripod bolt more than just the first few threads into the camera base plate, the bolt will interfere with the focusing mechanism. Therefore, you can't mount the camera "securely" to the tripod. I may be paranoid but I would be afraid to go stepping over logs or balancing from rock to rock in a creek, fearing that one over reaction could cause a jolt resulting in those few threads holding the camera to the tripod to let go.

Oops - sorry - this is not an Intrepid review thread But come on Intrepid! Who let this go?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

I bought a F64 backpack which is loaded with a 4x5 Chamonix and four lenses plus all sorts of other stuff. It's pretty cheap and serves my purposes for short walks. Has harness with belt strap and rain cover (retractable). It comes with two removeable film bags with separate shoulder straps that hold 4-5 holders each.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200405_103149 red.jpg   20200405_103035 red.jpg   20200405_103139 red.jpg   20200405_103146_001 red.jpg  

I have written this before in some thread here, but I'll describe my approach again:

When breaing into LF on a frayed shoe-string budget, I got a light weight "book bag" back pack at a thrift store. You may choose to by a high quality bag from REI. Look for one that opens all the way. I bought two closed cell foasm sleeping mats at as surplus store. Again, you might want to by something new from a quality outlet. Then I cut the foam into tomb-stone shaped pieces to fit the interior shape of the pack. These were glued up in layers with a hot glue gin. Then I layed out my gear on the pad stack and traced out the spaces I wanted. These were cut out with a steak knife. There may be a more refined way to do that. All that was stuffed into the pack and rhe gear put into the custom-cut spaces. Worked really well for me on a trip to the Grand Canyon in 1994

Perhaps there is a more refined/high-end way to do the same thing. First, get the light weight pack you want. Then go to one of the online outfits that do custom-cut inserts for gun cases and electronic equipment. Here is a link to one, there are others:

https://mycasebuilder.com/mcb-pre-ma.../camera-cases/

They show rectangular hartd cases, but I'd think they could do what you want for a pack too.

Whatever your approach to the padding, the central idea is to get a backpack that you like first. One that is light weight and fits you well. One that is designed primarily for serious hiking. One that opens all the way (like s book) to allow access to the entire interior. Then adapt it to protect your camera gear.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

BTW:

As I have continued to age-out of youthful vigor with back issues and now hip replacement surgery, my 4x5 outfit now travels around behind me on a set of heavy duty luggage wheels.

I am putting a Wista made Zone VI, three lenses, six film holders and the other stuff into an aged LowePro "Magnum-35" shoulder bag. It all goes onto a lightweight CF tripod with a Magnesium ball head.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

OK, good suggestions all - let me throw this out in case anyone has tried it.

I have a Domke photo vest:
    1 - I can comfortably fit 3 film holders in each of the two large front pickets.
    2 - With three other smaller pockets for - notepad, dark cloth (I use a black T-shirt that weighs nothing), yellow filter, cable release, loupe, tiny tape measure.

I could then look at getting a very small backpack for the camera, or just a very small camera bag just for the camera, lens, and dark-cloth and carry it with hand-strap or with shoulder-strap...?

I have rarely used my vest (it was given to me as a gift). Does anyone have much experience with carrying most essentials in a photo vest?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    to let go.
    Ha, better that than a disc annulus. (I've been babying an L5/S1 issue for the better part of two decades now.) Toward that end, I'd argue you'd be better off filling your hands with trekking poles, since your major risk factors off trail will be bending, torque, and unexpected jolts--about the only time I've ever tweaked my back while wearing a pack is when I've gotten a rod tube hung up on the blowdown I was trying to navigate.

Otherwise, personally I wouldn't hang up on pack weight as a criterion--getting your loadout over your hips (and having the suspension that keeps it there!) will be much more important. For myself, my ideal for a 4x5 kit is a 50L mil spec panel loader (often called a "three day assault" pack) from Kifaru--definitely overbuilt for .civ backpacking, but it might be worth considering how much more dense the LF typical loadout is compared to one whose volume is comprised mostly of sleeping bags/pads and dehydrated rations.

1 - I can comfortably fit 3 film holders in each of the two large front pickets.
    2 - With three other smaller pockets for - notepad, dark cloth (I use a black T-shirt that weighs nothing), yellow filter, cable release, loupe, tiny tape measure.

I could then look at getting a very small backpack for the camera, or just a very small camera bag just for the camera, lens, and dark-cloth and carry it with hand-strap or with shoulder-strap...?

I have rarely used my vest (it was given to me as a gift). Does anyone have much experience with carrying most essentials in a photo vest?
    If you can make that work for you . . .go for it.

I would be concerned that there will still be weight on your shoulders and back.

A serious hiking back pack will have a waist belt to transfer weight from your shoulders/back to your hips. That was the concept bwhind the now discontinued line of PhotoBackpacker gear. The Bag was a Kelty Redwing model and the interior protection was a set of semi-rigid padded boxes that nested together with hook-n-loop fasteners.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

You’re remembering room for the 10 essentials, right?

Since it’s a day hike from the car, you might be able to squeeze by with just 3 or 4.

-----
    1. Navigation (map & compass)
    2. Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)
    3. Insulation (extra clothing)
    4. Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
    5. First-aid supplies
    6. Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candle)
    7. Repair kit and tools
    8. Nutrition (extra food)
    9. Hydration (extra water)
    10. Emergency shelter (tent/plastic tube tent/garbage bag)

(The Mountaineers club, Seattle, who might have included insect repellant.)

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    You’re remembering room for the 10 essentials, right?
    1. Navigation (map & compass)
    2. Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)
    3. Insulation (extra clothing)
    4. Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
    5. First-aid supplies
    6. Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candle)
    7. Repair kit and tools
    8. Nutrition (extra food)
    9. Hydration (extra water)
    10. Emergency shelter (tent/plastic tube tent/garbage bag)
    I think I'll just call 911 when I'm ready to go home.