Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silverfast and Editing software

Re: Silverfast and Editing software

While I use Lightroom now, I also used ELements years ago and it works fine too for post adjustments. If you scan flat with no histogram adjustments, (don;t worry if it's dark) you can get exactly the same results regarding histogram settings by using the Levels slider in Elements: Click Enhance>Lighting>Levels.

I don;t recall about Elements spot removal tool, if there is one there or not. You need spot removal to get rid of the spots left on the film that the scanner picks up. Of course, you can use ICE to eliminate most of them. But that doubles the scan time. Also, ICE does not work on BW film.

Note that I only shoot and scan negative film and positive color film. I stay away from negative color which I find to be a pain to get the colors right although Portra seems fairly easy. I had trouble with Ektar. Positive color (ie. slides, chromes) lets me know immediately whether the exposure is right just by looking at the film. Makes scanning easier and quicker.

Re: Silverfast and Editing software

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    While I use Lightroom now, I also used ELements years ago and it works fine too for post adjustments. If you scan flat with no histogram adjustments, (don;t worry if it's dark) you can get exactly the same results regarding histogram settings by using the Levels slider in Elements: Click Enhance>Lighting>Levels.
    Does Elements support 16-bit per channel editing nowadays? If not, I wouldn't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Note that I only shoot and scan negative film and positive color film. I stay away from negative color which I find to be a pain to get the colors right although Portra seems fairly easy.
    Scanning color negative film is much simpler with NegaFix in Silverfast. I will admit that they're profile for a specific film may not be your first choice, but poking around with other profiles, if needed, will get you darn close. Then, you have all the powerful tools available in the scanner software for tweaking and final adjustments to get the "perfect" scan; whatever that is! If I can't get what I want from the tools in Silverfast, I'll scan to a linear file, then use the ColorPerfect plugin in PS or NegativeLabPro in LR for the conversion. Many times I'll try both to see which gives me the best initial file.