Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any suggestions on who to commission to help me build a camera?

Re: Any suggestions on who to commission to help me build a camera?

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    Jim Fitzgerald is the only one I would recommend or trust. L

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Jim Fitzgerald is the only one I would recommend or trust. L
    Luis, thanks. I appreciate you comment. Just to let everyone know that after I finish my 8x10 that I'm building I will not be building anymore cameras. I have currently two 14x17's I need to sell and I may have two 8x10's at some point. I recently had a small accident in the shop that was a wakeup call. I'm going to be selling many of my big shop tools, Saw Stop cabinet saw 8" jointer and 14" bandsaw and seriously downsizing the shop. I had to do a reality check as to where I can put my effort going forward. Bookbinding won out. I'll start a different thread and I'm sorry for hijacking this one.

Well, if you "commission" someone to build a camera, then they are building the camera. Or, do you want to build one from scratch, or from a kit?
    I suggest you buy one from this forum, or ask Keith Canham or Richard Ritter to build one for you.

https://www.canhamcameras.com/index.html
    https://www.lg4mat.net/

Do you have something custom in mind, or do you just want a camera??? There are a lot of small details in the design that have evolved over 2 centuries that are a normal part of commercially made cameras that we don't notice, but someone had to sweat out a long time ago...

Someone like a working pro who knows a camera well might find there is a feature lacking and might want a camera where that is incorporated, or a camera never realized, but most cameras are pretty good with their features and design...

Note it is not just woodworking, but design physics, materials, shop practice, metal/plastic/wood parts are unique and have to be custom fabricated in small #'s and select materials need to be sourced and details sweated out... Even off-the-shelf stuff like hardware can be a headache to find an item...

Building a camera is like wanting to learn guitar, and insisting to build your first instrument... Many different learning curves before being able to use and learn said guitar...

Expect project to be expensive, very time consuming, snags in the process, a difficult birthing process, and a long way before you have a well designed camera to shoot... Or have one built by the few who still practice the craft (and probably cheaper & MUCH better in the end)...

Decisions, decisions...

Steve K

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Do you have something custom in mind, or do you just want a camera??? There are a lot of small details in the design that have evolved over 2 centuries that are a normal part of commercially made cameras that we don't notice, but someone had to sweat out a long time ago...

Someone like a working pro who knows a camera well might find there is a feature lacking and might want a camera where that is incorporated, or a camera never realized, but most cameras are pretty good with their features and design...

Note it is not just woodworking, but design physics, materials, shop practice, metal/plastic/wood parts are unique and have to be custom fabricated in small #'s and select materials need to be sourced and details sweated out... Even off-the-shelf stuff like hardware can be a headache to find an item...

Building a camera is like wanting to learn guitar, and insisting to build your first instrument... Many different learning curves before being able to use and learn said guitar...

Expect project to be expensive, very time consuming, snags in the process, a difficult birthing process, and a long way before you have a well designed camera to shoot... Or have one built by the few who still practice the craft (and probably cheaper & MUCH better in the end)...

Decisions, decisions...

Steve K
    This is so true. It took me 7 camera builds before I decided on the best purpose built 8x10, 8x20 and 14x17. How are you going to use the camera? Landscapes or portraits will dictate how much bellows you need. Only one of the variables to consider. There are hundreds more. Assembly steps and finishes? Like I say have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Luis, thanks. I appreciate you comment. Just to let everyone know that after I finish my 8x10 that I'm building I will not be building anymore cameras. I have currently two 14x17's I need to sell and I may have two 8x10's at some point. I recently had a small accident in the shop that was a wakeup call. I'm going to be selling many of my big shop tools, Saw Stop cabinet saw 8" jointer and 14" bandsaw and seriously downsizing the shop. I had to do a reality check as to where I can put my effort going forward. Bookbinding won out. I'll start a different thread and I'm sorry for hijacking this one.
    Sounds like something significant, perhaps life-changing. Wishing you well and hope for a full recovery.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply, much appreciated! I am going to go down the path of using existing pieces to create what I am after.. That should be "just" possible, even with my lack of skills...

Thanks again!