Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a budget 360mm for portraits?

Re: Looking for a budget 360mm for portraits?

Here in Europe we can still find mammo films, but 18x24!
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Drew Wiley

I have several 360's. Ironcially, the one I would consider the best portrait lens was the cheapest - a single-coated f/9 Zeiss mfg tessar-design barrel process lens with lovely background blur, but very critical in-focus sharpness. No shutter. You'd need to add that. Easily covers 8X10.

One man's budget is another man's bankruptcy. Just sayin'....
    It would be nice if you could be specific.

I have an 8x10 Tessar 1C, marked 11 13/16" FL which gives a lovely rendition. These lenses are common on the used market. They are what were often referred to as "commercial" lenses because wide open they were a little soft, but stopped down they were sharp. So for the working commercial photographer they did double duty as both a portrait lens at faster stops and as a sharp lens closed down for shooting catalogs and other assignments. One lens to do the work of two was their idea of "budget", I guess, back in the day.
    They're lovely lenses, if a bit clunky. My 8x10 is in a Betax 5. My 10x12 version of the same is in a Studio shutter. In years past they've been all over Ebay. Probably still are.

And yes, a standard barrel mounting will have an adjustable iris, except, maybe, for a projector lens or other special-use lens.
    Last edited by William Whitaker; 3-Aug-2021 at 13:17.

Drew Wiley

Like I said, mine is an f/9 process lens, so relative small, and could easily be fitted within any no.3 shutter. Being a process lens, it's also very sharp, even as wide as f/11. But for 8x10 coverage with movements, you'd need it stopped down quite a bit more. It wasn't marketed as a Tessar; that's just its lens construction. Was marketed for process camera use. It's even a decent enlarging lens, though not quite equal to what I generally use. Small enough to fit a Durst turret ring.

Quite a lot about RX film, but when I ask for a shop where I can buy it and that will ship it to me.... never got a response sadly. Only I find on the net is dental about the size of half a credit card.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Quite a lot about RX film, but when I ask for a shop where I can buy it and that will ship it to me.... never got a response sadly. Only I find on the net is dental about the size of half a credit card.
    I buy mine off eBay. I prefer Agfa, that's just a matter of taste. It is a challenge though finding sellers that will ship outside of USA, but there is one right now and I'm tempted to buy another 5-10 boxes to make sure I don't run out for a few more years.

I just bought today a second 360mm f5.6 chrome Schneider Componon for my Sinar TLR 5x7. I have found that lens to compare favorably with chrome 5.6 Schneider Symmar. They even look very similar side by side. Big Plasmat type back in the sixties they liked to use lenses wide open sometimes. I like doing that. Repair Guru Ken Ruth (Photography on Bald Mountain) told me Componons were his favorite taking lenses, and encouraged me to buy an entire set. Quite reasonable back then

Anyway now $150 on Ebay (been there forever) and the Price is acceptable to me. If you like sharp lenses consider chrome Componons. If the elements are milky they can be easily taken out and washed with dishsoap in the kitchen sink. Ken taught me that trick. The rear group that stays in the barrel can also be cleaned of any milkiness, that is very common with these.

Here is my 360mm f5.6 chrome Componon on my 8x10 Sinar Norma. The second lens I bought today is identical to this one

8x10 to 5x7 Norma Special Bellows 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 5-Aug-2021 at 04:54.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I just bought today a second 360mm f5.6 chrome Schneider Componon...
    +1 on the Camponon's - my first lens for my 8X10 was a 300mm - used it for several years and regret getting rid of it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

360 Symmar Norma Auto Iris Pair by Nokton48, on Flickr

Another excellent sharp Plasmat choice is the 360mm f5.6 chrome Schneider Symmar.

Here is a matching pair of automated aperture Norma boards on my 5x7 Sinar Norma TLR

The bottom lens I picked up very reasonably and recently from a local dealer. Met him at a local camera auction to pick it up in person
    It was in the original Norma box and packing never used
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Don't tell her!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    +1 on the Camponon's - my first lens for my 8X10 was a 300mm - used it for several years and regret getting rid of it.

Tin Can