Thread: Servicing a tripod head

Scott Davis

Servicing a tripod head

So, I got this Gitzo 1371 head in like-new condition, for a price I couldn't pass up. The reason it was cheap is that the major tilt/level controls are really really stiff. I suspect it is old grease, tight tolerances, or a combination of the two. What is the best de-greaser, and what is the recommended replacement grease?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Servicing a tripod head

I recently overhauled a Bogen/Manfrotto head. After disassembly, naptha quickly cleaned the parts and a medium damping grease from Amazon made it silky smooth.

Scott Davis

Well, after I mounted the head on a tripod and tried using it, it was very smooth with what feels like the right amount of tension. So there is no need, at this time anyway, to take it apart any further and try to re-lubricate it. Bad luck for the seller, good luck for me.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Yay for you!

Years ago I bought a lightweight Magnesium ball head from a friend who was a working wedding photographer. He let it go for a song at a camera show where we shared a table (THAT long ago). It was a small item with one control that delt with the ball head and the pan functions together. . . . and would not tighten down anymore.

Itook a chance and paid him for it, then fooled around with it for a few m inutes. Soon I found that the little lever was on a sort of ratchet. I pulled it away from the body ~1/8 inch and backed it up a notch . . .presto it worked fin. Used it for another five yers or so , but now have another even lighter weight ball head for my kit.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!