Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebike?

Re: Ebike?

Since I started this thread, I've been researching and researching. My LF field gear packs into a 70L F-stop bag. I'm currently coveting an R&M load 60. I might have to sell all my other cameras to afford it :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0r9Fq7g9uA

BMW unveils high-speed electric bicycle with 300 km of range, plus an electric motorcycle

They aim to disrupt

https://electrek.co/2021/09/06/bmw-u...ic-motorcycle/
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    BMW unveils high-speed electric bicycle with 300 km of range, plus an electric motorcycle

They aim to disrupt

https://electrek.co/2021/09/06/bmw-u...ic-motorcycle/
    It looks like this sector is poised to impress with some awesome upgrades. But WTF do I know, I just started looking. :-O I gave my college-bound son my mountain bike when he went off to school 3 years ago. It was stolen within a month :-\ I've been sans bike since, although I really hated that bike, it never fit me very well.

I have a RadWagon cargo ebike. I tried strapping down my 8x10 and ancient bogen tripod onto the back. The bogen is long enough that i had to push it further back so my heels won't hit it. I like those cargo bikes like your link where you put the things in front. Looks like a lot more stable.

Keep in mind, the ranges these bikes give are for 65 pound person going flat on a road. Once you put load on the bike, the distance gets less. Also, depends on how much electric assist you use pedaling.

They are also VERY heavy. Unless you are on ground floor and your garage is set up so you can maneuver this thing around, you are good to go.
    --

I have a RadWagon, the latest model has frame space for battery 2 under the seat, I changed the seat to a Brooks knockoff I like better than my real Brooks

I put on the rear footboards so I can stow low

and front basket, mirrors

I always check tires on ALL vehicles before any tire usage, every trip

I bought 2 spare 22" tires and tubes as they are using a very rare size

In my cars I always had tire pumps, tire plugs and I do know how to use them

The frame is very stout and could be adapted to new E-Motors etc
    Tin Can

After lots of research, I finally made my choice. Thanks for all you're responses. I decided on a Riese & Muller Superdelight with the Rolloff E-14 hub. Because it has suspension, Riese & Muller states that you can't attach a single-wheeled trailer. Although many have, I'm going to respect that at least until the warranty runs out. I've been looking for a suitable two-wheeled trailer and from what I've seen, it looks like the Burley Nomad would be a good choice to fit my 70L F-stop bag. Although, it would have been nice to have a suspension on the trailer.

Beautiful bike. Both it and the Rolloff E-14 hub are interesting choices...definitely not the cargo bike style I went with!! I have no experience with that type of hub, sounds pretty neat and it would be interesting getting use to the shifting style.

The Bosch Performance Line CX, dual batteries and all, are great. And sounds like belt drive, too. It took about almost thousand miles for my Bosch CX to finally mellow out, though it always worked fine. All sorts of interesting sounds from it until then. The last couple thousand miles have been quiet...at least as quiet as the road noise of my tires.

I have never had suspension on a bicycle, so I have not missed it.

have fun!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Beautiful bike. Both it and the Rolloff E-14 hub are interesting choices...definitely not the cargo bike style I went with!! I have no experience with that type of hub, sounds pretty neat and it would be interesting getting use to the shifting style.

The Bosch Performance Line CX, dual batteries and all, are great. And sounds like belt drive, too. It took about almost thousand miles for my Bosch CX to finally mellow out, though it always worked fine. All sorts of interesting sounds from it until then. The last couple thousand miles have been quiet...at least as quiet as the road noise of my tires.

I have never had suspension on a bicycle, so I have not missed it.

have fun!
    I was seriously considering a cargo bike, one that I could put my f-stop bag on without breaking the system up into smaller bags. Long story short, I had to compromise because I wouldn't have been able to get the cargo bike I wanted onto any bike rack, just too long and heavy. My "compromise" is that I'll need to add a trailer. However, not having a cargo bike opens up some other adventure possibilities. BTW, I believe I met you briefly back when Hayward had that photo center. I think it was when Sandy King was doing a talk.

Cheers,
    Ned

That would have been me.

You are getting a better all-around bike...though mine has been great for commuting/shopping as well as simple single track. It can be interesting when the corners get too tight...and that is what happened the only time I dumped it. I can fit it in the Eurovan, but that is not optimal. It is one of the biggest disadvantages of the BigEasy...from wheel end to wheel end is almost 7 and a half feet. Weight-wise we are about even...I might have 5 pounds on you.

Having both batteries built in makes the bike sleek. At 220 pounds (me) and weight on the bike, I have a 115 mile range (dual batteries...1000wh) in the lowest mode and around 70 miles in the mode I usually ride in. But there are a lot of variables that come into play. When I do my ride from the house up 3000' in 15 miles to a favorite sunset spot, my power indicator says I can do it again.

But once is enough in one evening, it is still a lot of work...from my ride up there last week...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunseta1_22.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That would have been me.

You are getting a better all-around bike...though mine has been great for commuting/shopping as well as simple single track. It can be interesting when the corners get too tight...and that is what happened the only time I dumped it. I can fit it in the Eurovan, but that is not optimal. It is one of the biggest disadvantages of the BigEasy...from wheel end to wheel end is almost 7 and a half feet. Weight-wise we are about even...I might have 5 pounds on you.

Having both batteries built in makes the bike sleek. At 220 pounds (me) and weight on the bike, I have a 115 mile range (dual batteries...1000wh) in the lowest mode and around 70 miles in the mode I usually ride in. But there are a lot of variables that come into play. When I do my ride from the house up 3000' in 15 miles to a favorite sunset spot, my power indicator says I can do it again.

But once is enough in one evening, it is still a lot of work...from my ride up there last week...
    Thanks for the inspiration. I live right below Mt. Diablo on the south end so hopefully it will become a sunset spot for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk