Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebike?

Re: Ebike?

Quote Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
    Anyone packing their Large format gear on an ebike? If so, I would love to hear about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I do/did, in the panniers at the luggage carriers at the back I divided my stuff over two sides, for one day/one purpose rides it fits in one bag on one side. For overnight adventures I bought a second battery. In the end I preferred a real trekking gravelbike. The fully loaded e-bike, a Riese&Müller Cruiser, is quite a weight to get to the site where precisely want to stand for the angle of view and a gravelbike is a lot less heavy to get there. I pack my Chamonix in a bag which hangs on the tube between saddle and the handlebar, which could of course also be done on the e-bike.

I carry my cargo ebike on a Harbor Freight motorcycle rack. It’s rated for 400-pounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6409.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	224394

6 years ago I had my very first ride on a 'Trek' e-bike with a Bosch hub motor around the Swiss alps, and I just carried my Wista around in my backpack as normal - felt very balanced, and going uphill was an absolute revelation. Going downhill was scary as hell (no motor required).

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post

6 years ago I had my very first ride on a 'Trek' e-bike with a Bosch hub motor around the Swiss alps, and I just carried my Wista around in my backpack as normal - felt very balanced, and going uphill was an absolute revelation. Going downhill was scary as hell (no motor required).

Marc!
    A backpack is certainly an option, I've always felt that I should take a bunch of lenses "just in case". However, I usually use the same couple of lenses for most shots. Between 150mm, 210, or 250.

That looks like a great ride!

Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post

Marc!
    An advantage of using a back pack on a bike is the extra shock absorbing of one's body provided sensitive equipment. A radical change of balance is the downside...and perhaps a more sore butt. Also does not work as well for cameras bigger than 4x5.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    An advantage of using a back pack on a bike is the extra shock absorbing of one's body provided sensitive equipment. A radical change of balance is the downside...and perhaps a more sore butt. Also does not work as well for cameras bigger than 4x5.
    One of the things I've been on the lookout for is a two-wheeled trailer with suspension. Any ideas, let me know. I like the Burley Nomad, but it doesn't have suspension and I don't like the idea of my LFF gear bouncing around back there.

Edit - This looks interesting.

Looks great one can haul one's 20x24 out into the field with that thing!
    Actually the single-wheel trailer they show in the photo looks pretty nice, too.
    I did a couple thousand miles, including a lot of gravel/washboard roads, on a non-suspended bike and a 4x5. I was constantly tightening things on the bike, but no camera gear problems. I occasionally use the same lens three and a half decades later.

I would not like to pull a two-wheel trailer. Where I travel, the roads lack proper shoulders and I enjoy too much single-track riding. Took a great ride yesterday with a friend (she has a Rad). Just 24 miles round trip...cold under the redwoods, but beautiful when we were going right along the coast. A mix of paved two-lane (closed for the day for hikers/bikers), old abandoned road, and single track. No LF camera...I tend to save that for the solo trips.

Here is our lunch spot (taken on a earlier trip...boring warm cloudless day yesterday).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coast_11_21.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Ebike?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Looks great one can haul one's 20x24 out into the field with that thing!
    Actually the single-wheel trailer they show in the photo looks pretty nice, too.
    I did a couple thousand miles, including a lot of gravel/washboard roads, on a non-suspended bike and a 4x5. I was constantly tightening things on the bike, but no camera gear problems. I occasionally use the same lens three and a half decades later.

I would not like to pull a two-wheel trailer. Where I travel, the roads lack proper shoulders and I enjoy too much single-track riding. Took a great ride yesterday with a friend (she has a Rad). Just 24 miles round trip...cold under the redwoods, but beautiful when we were going right along the coast. A mix of paved two-lane (closed for the day for hikers/bikers), old abandoned road, and single track. No LF camera...I tend to save that for the solo trips.

Here is our lunch spot 9taken on a earlier trip)
    I think you forgot the picture :-D

Now I see it. Great lunch spot.

nbagno,

Is there a reason you want a two wheel trailer? Single wheel trailers are far more maneuverable and easier to navigate with. I have a Bob Ibex Trailer and really like it. Since I bought mine another company, Quitekat has come out with a trailer that not only has a large cargo area but also has a rack to attach panniers. Both trailers have an adjustable suspension. The Quietkat looks bigger, with a larger, fatter tire but is 15lbs heavier than the Bob Ibex.

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dunn View Post
    nbagno,

Is there a reason you want a two wheel trailer? Single wheel trailers are far more maneuverable and easier to navigate with. I have a Bob Ibex Trailer and really like it. Since I bought mine another company, Quitekat has come out with a trailer that not only has a large cargo area but also has a rack to attach panniers. Both trailers have an adjustable suspension. The Quietkat looks bigger, with a larger, fatter tire but is 15lbs heavier than the Bob Ibex.

-Joshua
    I had my dealer write the manufacturer in Germany about using a single wheeled trailer and they said “absolutely not” (I think something was lost in the translation) I didn’t get the details on why but it must be because of the suspension. They don’t have the same restriction on their hard tail bikes.

I’ve raised the question on one of the forums for this bike and some people ride with a single wheel trailer. I’m not willing to do that quite yet, maybe when the warranty runs out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk