Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebike?

Ebike?

Anyone packing their Large format gear on an ebike? If so, I would love to hear about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Ebike?

Working on it

Bought this

Now have 3 ebikes, 2 use the same battery, which is a real good idea

I need a fleet, I also have 3 bicycles and an adult trike

I am very fond of anything on 2 or 3 wheels

Sold my cage
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fall-off-the-wagon.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	218055

just a regular bike and trailer.

Bikes Now! by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Shot just now in my living room studio, caught it very busy

Front is a Rad Runner, it will tow the Radical Trailer which is in the mess, with a large plastic box. Had it for years. Then the Rad Cargo just assembled and modified before usage. Then 2018 Giant fancy bike, used 3 years

By the backdrop is adult trike, it may get a battery conversion this winter

The 4 bikes were made by Giant Taiwan, the biggest bike factory in the world

There are now big shortages and price increases

I wonder about 2022
    Tin Can

I just started looking at ebikes and one of the first was the Rad bikes. They seem to have some very good features.

So good they are out of stock for months now

I got my 2 a month ago

They also may be upgrading models soon

However since they are actually Giant bikes, very well made

and it seems the electrical parts are fairly standard now, so I can fix nearly anything

and I can fit a second battery into the frame of the cargo bike from the cheaper smaller one

I have a very large friend, he converted his 1950's Cushman Scooter with sidecar to eBike from eBay raw parts

Wild Bill was a Radio Shack guy in Vietnam, in a Tin Box. He restores Army trucks, I supply some parts.

Hidden spare battery holder on Radwagon 4 !?!? - Rad Power Bikes + accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
    I just started looking at ebikes and one of the first was the Rad bikes. They seem to have some very good features.
    Tin Can

I strongly recommend an E-cargo bike set up. There are two advantages with it, one you can really line the bottom of the cargo space to cushion all the bouncing around the road induces. Two you can keep an eye on your stuff while riding, things do fall off trailers riding in the back. The disadvantage is higher upfront cost of it, and second, it might be more limiting where you can go with it given its size and bulk.

One of the members of this forum occasionally rode a standard bicycle around New York City with a pack on his back containing his 8x10 Arca-Swiss. He survived to tell the tale, but I think that he stopped after a bad spill sans camera.

During eight months in Sicily, a Piaggio scooter was my only mode of transport, sometimes with an Arca-Swiss 4x5 and Rodenstock lens lashed to a rear rack. I hit a tiny patch of oil, maybe two inches square, coming down a steep road in Noto. Luckily, I'm a member of the "all the gear, all the time" club, and my camera wasn't with me. Mangled camera and bits of lens wouldn't have been a pretty sight.

I didn't stop after that, but the camera got some serious protection

I have the same RadWagon as Tin Can. Bought it mostly for quick shopping and errands when I am too lazy to take my "real" bike. I have used it for a year and have about 1,000 miles on it so far. I have not done any LF hauling with it, but have dragged around a 16mm cine camera, which with tripod and magazines weighs in about the same as an 8x10, and has similar bulk. It works really well, but I had concerns about damage to the equipment because of constant bouncing. I ended up finding a big pelican case with foam, and putting everything in there, strapped to the back of the bike. I think it could probably haul ULF if needed.