Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebike?

Re: Ebike?

I think that electric motorbikes are at a point where they are better value for money than e-bikes as well as more capable. Depending on where one lives and the bike's power, some don't require a license or only require a driver's license. The main makers have more R&D capability than e-bike makers, and benefit from better economy of scale.

I don't see the point of an e-bike unless you're a dyed-in-the-wool bicycle rider who wants pedal assist. I also think that a lot of the people who want pedal assist are having trouble coming to grips with what they really want and/or, if they live in a strict licensing jurisdiction, are intimidated at the thought of getting a motorbike license

Here in New York City, inexpensive versions of these motorbikes have become the vehicle of choice for restaurant and other deliveries. They are everywhere, to the annoyance of some New York residents They are less expensive than most, if not all, of the e-bikes mentioned in this thread.

Going up a notch, Piaggio is in the process of launching the Piaggio One in three versions, one of which is legally a moped (photo below). On price, the basic Piaggio One costs about the same as the higher priced e-bikes discussed here. They are a less expensive follow-up to Piaggio's Vespa Elettrica. Price is no doubt one reason why Piaggio's first rollout of the new bike is in India.

At the high end, and to take one example, California's Zero Motorcycles makes highly regarded electric dual sport bikes as well as street bikes.

For eight months in rural Sicily, I rode a Piaggio Liberty scooter as my sole means of transport. I mention this because a lot of people think that scooters are only good for city streets. Not true. It depends entirely on how high the bike is off the ground, which in turn is about wheel size. The Liberty, with a wheel size much larger than the wheel on a scooter like the Vespa, got me everywhere, including through farm fields and up and down Sicily's steep dirt roads. I haven't looked at the Piaggio One's specs, but the wheels in the photo below are clearly much larger than Vespa wheels.

Piaggio One:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piaggio one.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	218308
    Last edited by r.e.; 4-Aug-2021 at 06:28.

An eBike in Illinois is allowed many places my motorcycles are not

I have been riding motorbikes since 1967 which was before MC testing was required, when I HAD to get licenced, the tester watched me for 1 minute and said OK

I wanted to ride before 1967 but my father forbid any motorized carts, bikes, etc which really pissed me off.

Here I am sawing the fenders off a Honda S65 to make it faster, 1967, not my bike, but approved by owner

Also training a new rider with my Trail 90, 22 years ago

Dick Randy Honda S65 1966 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Jen solo by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Honda CT90 Trail by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    None of the motorcycles mentioned in your post is a moped, is it. In New York State, you can ride an unregistered, limited power motorbike anywhere that the speed limit is 30mph or less. The speed limit in New York City is 24mph. Indeed, you can ride a limited power motorbike in places where an e-bike with pedal assist is prohibited.

Link to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles page on this: Electric Scooters & Bicycles and Other Unregistered Vehicles

Every US state has diff road law

I am a long time member of Moped Army

I rode Moped to http://slaughterhousechicago.com/XIX/ just for fun on

A blue French Moped
    Tin Can

Every US state has diff road law
    Yes, I suspect that people who want an electric two-wheel vehicle, and live in places where vehicles have to be registered unless they have pedal assist, are driving the market for pedal assist bikes. Personally, I'd rather register a vehicle than wind up with a clunky bicycle/motorbike. I wonder how many people actually use the pedals on these bikes

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Yes, I suspect that people who want an electric two-wheel vehicle, and live in places where vehicles have to be registered unless they have pedal assist, are driving the market for pedal assist bikes. Personally, I'd rather register a vehicle than wind up with a clunky bicycle/motorbike. I wonder how many people actually use the pedals on these bikes
    I can't go anywhere but downhill without pedaling my eBike. I even have my feet strapped in to pedal efficiently. You are obviously not a bicyclist.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I have been riding motorbikes since 1967 which was before MC testing was required, when I HAD to get licenced, the tester watched me for 1 minute and said OK

I wanted to ride before 1967 but my father forbid any motorized carts, bikes, etc which really pissed me off.

Here I am sawing the fenders off a Honda S65 to make it faster, 1967, not my bike, but approved by owner

Also training a new rider with my Trail 90, 22 years ago

My first bike was a Honda S65. None of us had drivers licenses or tags on our bikes. The local Mississippi Highway Patrolman approved this as long as we did not ride on the highways.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I can't go anywhere but downhill without pedaling my eBike. I even have my feet strapped in to pedal efficiently. You are obviously not a bicyclist.
    Sensitive much?

I guess you missed what I said about GCN (Global Cycling Network) in post #33. As a guy who's ridden manual bicycles for a few decades, as well as motorbikes for the last ten years, I think that e-bikes, and pedal assist bikes in particular, are poor value for money and are less capable than alternatives.

That's why the actual working people, as distinct from ageing yuppies/intelligentsia, who make deliveries all over New York City don't use them. I've also given reasons for my views, none of which you've addressed, and specific examples of available alternatives. Sorry for having an opinion that differs from yours. Do try to wake up on the right side of bed tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Sensitive much?

Ah...something we have in common! Besides riding push pikes for several decades (only one tour, but commuted), that is.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

back in my day, 1969, I was riding my new Bianchi Touring full campy with sew ups, strap in clips on a cold morning

bingo I found myself fully upside down on my back with hands and feet still in place staring at the sky

invisible ice!

didn't hurt a bit, got back on top and on we went

more fun another cold day, I always kept tires at 100 psi with Silca frame pump I still have

I also always took bike to my dorm room, I was tired and immediately went to sleep

BANG the front tire exploded. 1 minute later the rear...

I took that as a sign I had both tires at the same pressure....for a while

I bought my Giant eBike from the same small bike store almost exactly 50 years later

The first was $250, more than I paid for many used cars

4 months later I dropped out of college
    Tin Can