Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New and need help

Re: New and need help

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    5x7 Sinar Norma on a shorten Sinar rail, not a lot thicker than a field folder. Carry as many 6" extension rails as needed. Sinar fits into it's case complete, lift the Sinar complete with lens and shutter, place on the rail clamp, add rail extension as needed then extend the camera to focus position as needed. This entire dance takes less than a minute once the tripod is set up.

Limitations of monorail camera (Sinar) can be perceived. This is possible due to the modularity of Sinar.
    Attachment 218056

Bernice
    And, Bernice isn't necessarily suggesting that you need a 5x7. You can do the same with a 4x5 F series camera. The following link shows how this can be done.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...camera.172997/

In this configuration, Sinar cameras can be stowed conveniently in a backpack.

Nor do you necessarily need an F2 camera, as someone suggested. A Sinar F is an inexpensive camera that could serve as a good starter system. If you liked the F series, then you might consider an F2 later.

Intrepid 4x5 mk4 and lenses for your $1k is a better investment than a heavy monorail or fancy Linhof.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Wow! What a bargain! Such bargains shouldn't go to those who merely want to make resale profits. A few notes on the Graphic view cameras: this is the first model (1941-1948) with base tilts, traditional graphic back, and 12.5 inch bellows length. The Graphic View II (1949-1957) came with the Graflok back, more practical for roll film adapters. It also had three inches more bellows length and optical center tilts (preferred by many photographers. The backs are interchangeable between the two models. The camera for sale has the desirable lens board adapter, permitting lenses from later Graphic press cameras to be used. Note that many lenses from press cameras do not have large enough image diameter to permit using front camera movements. That Optar does. I used both Graphic view models for many years, and never had a problem with either. Of course there are newer and better cameras, but they would almost never have taken a photo that a Graphic View wouldn't capture.

Thank you for the link; however, it did not work saying I don't have sufficient privileges to view it.

Send a PM to member osyteroid- that’s the seller.

Initial entry cost or price of camera alone is not the ideal way to make a decision or choice of view camera as there are a LOT more factors and cost involved far beyond the camera and that item.

At this moment in time film cost per sheet of 4x5 film runs about $2 per sheet of B&W to $5 per sheet of color. Add processing cost to this. B&W film can be appear to be lower processing cost than color. While this assessment can be made when considering only the chemistry cost, there are the means required to process film like tanks, chemistry and all related to that..

Will the film be scanned or projection or contact printed to get a print?

Beyond the camera, lens, tripod, light meter, film holders, case, and all.. comes the most valuable and not replaceable resource, one's time. Ask yourself how much frustration is tolerable during the how to view camera learning process? For some this entire view camera thing is an adventure into something different.
    That is excellent and great, question becomes how much adventure becomes total and utter frustration during the learning process? At some point of this view camera journey, one should and needs to consider deeply if this is what they wanna do relative to the rewards of all this view camera stuff.

Point to all this verbiage is much about learning on a view camera, lens, tripod, light meter and all involved that promotes and is well conducive to the "how to view camera" process. with the least amount of hurdles along the journey.

Seems what is missing today is some easy means to real world how to view camera experience. For some it would be better in many ways for an individual curious and wanting to experience this view camera stuff by sharing with a mentor or similar to aid much in this learning, deciding if this view camera stuff is for them. A real world experience like this like doing a rental can go an awful long ways to addressing the needs and questions of those curious and wanting to view camera.

Bernice

I have and continually process my own film, from color to black and white. I already have the substantial tripod (Linhof), light meter (Luna Pro F) and multiple Paterson tanks. Although the tanks are not 4x5 ready, I can and will purchase what is necessary. I understand the costs of film and chemicals. I have tackled many numerous processes in the past to gain skill. I look forward to the view camera experience and welcome the ups and downs on that journey.

This board and its forums are a resource that is deep and wide in experience nd knowledge.

My landscape kit is based on a 1980s vintage Wista-made Zone VI that is light weight and folds up into a compact package . . . .and it is 4x5 format. That means that everything is also smaller and lighter in weight than the gear that would support a larger cameras.

Field cameras come in all sizes up to the various ULF formats. It all depends on where you want to go and how you want to shoot. There are plenty of threads on this board that discuss optimal back packs for 8x10 cameras . . .so I suppose that plenty of shooters carry everything they need for 8x10 landscape photography well into the field and up the trail. Look up those threads and contact some of the responders directly via PM and see what they have to say about just how they get it all done.

Some of them do pack up a monorail outfit.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 31-Jul-2021 at 07:06.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!