Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New and need help

Re: New and need help

You could get a Sinar F2 or perhaps a Sinar Norma in pretty nice condition for about $500, leaving roughly enough for a couple lenses. It would probably have all the movements you would want. Using a short extension rail to hold the standards when you are packing it up should get the size down to where it would be easy enough to carry.

If it is the process of taking the picture with LF that attracts you, either of these cameras would be a good choice.

I use a Canham which packs up smaller, but once I get to where I'm starting to take pictures, I take it out of my backpack and carry it in my hand or on my tripod.

I shot some of my best photos with an Omega (Toyo) 45E rail camera. It’s possible to use one, but I beat the camera up.

(Shrek)

The only issue I (and many others) have with monorails is that they don't fit in a backpack. We accept a lot of limitations on our folding field cameras to get them compact enough to fit.

5x7 Sinar Norma on a shorten Sinar rail, not a lot thicker than a field folder. Carry as many 6" extension rails as needed. Sinar fits into it's case complete, lift the Sinar complete with lens and shutter, place on the rail clamp, add rail extension as needed then extend the camera to focus position as needed. This entire dance takes less than a minute once the tripod is set up.

Limitations of monorail camera (Sinar) can be perceived. This is possible due to the modularity of Sinar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar Norma_short rail.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	218056

Bernice

lab black

There are many good suggestions here. Also, if possible, consider renting or borrowing both types of cameras to determine which one that best suits your individual needs.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

The OP's post mentioned he has serious issues with his back. Given that, I believe his choosing a large format camera should be his second decision, not the first. It would be prudent if he experimented with going out in his car to find suitable photogenic subjects that could be photographed from next to his vehicle. If so, he would be ready to begin his large format journey--and should be cautious about buying a large format camera before then.

This also is advice I need to take. My own back and shoulders have deteriorated, and at 80 I am having to decide what equipment I can and cannot use. In my case, it is likely my 8X10 will have to be used only inside my house, and the 4X5 is a "maybe" outside. These are hard decisions.

Keith

I want to express my deepest gratitude to everyone of you who replied. While I don't have serious back issues now, I do occasionally have issues. I love the idea of renting equipment, but since I purchased my retirement home, I live quite a distance from an area that would have that service. I can't say I miss DC. LOL. I am looking at more entry level price equipment on evilbay. I found quite a few monorails that would do me well, but on the hand, field cameras command a premium. I keep looking and learning. Thanks again and happy journeys.

At home I shoot a Linhof 45s monorail on a 5 series Gitzo.

It's rock solid.

It's very heavy.

I use a 3kg Technika and a 3kg Linhof alloy tripod for "away from the house" images.

It works fine with a little patience and care.

It's tough enough to survive.

Lens/Camera/Tripod all need to work in harmony.

Good Luck and Good Light......

Canham 5x7 MQC with 75mm lens and 617 rollfilm back. Foldable, portable and versatile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150910_4205a.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	218064

There’s a Graphic View I for sale on this forum. That’s an entry level 4x5. It’s rather lightweight and all metal, which is a plus for toughness.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...tar-f-7-5-lens