Thread: Sinar Alpina/A1 mounting block

Scott Davis

Sinar Alpina/A1 mounting block

Does anyone know if there ever was some kind of mounting block for a Sinar A1/Alpina beyond the really annoying little piece of aluminum that slides around inside the rail with the 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threaded sockets? I have always used a Bogen hex QR plate, and a Bogen 3-way pan-tilt head, but if there's a better option (factory or otherwise) I'm all ears.

I have the Alpina around as a student camera for when I teach my intro to Large Format class. For that, they're great little cameras and near-indestructible.

Re: Sinar Alpina/A1 mounting block

Nope. If I had an Alpina/A1 today, I'd probably fit an Arca compatible plate on it. I've never gotten along with Bogen/manfrotto hex plates.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Nope. If I had an Alpina/A1 today, I'd probably fit an Arca compatible plate on it. I've never gotten along with Bogen/manfrotto hex plates.
    I had them in the past, but I'm very much over them now. I had an otherwise very nice Bogen three-way pan/tilt head that took the hex plates. I have no problem whatever to switching to an Arca-style plate. I guess there's not any that have two screws, one of each size, that can be placed close enough together to double-screw the A1 mounting plate and prevent twisting of the camera on the plate.

Oh, that shouldn't be too hard. Some have slots. Also, some have lips. If it's the right size, the lip will ride against the rail, and it wouldn't spin. That's what I do with my Intrepid 8x10.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Arca-Swiss

Scott,

Arca-Swiss has several plates that, as someone mentioned, will mount with 2 screws. I used them in my Large Format classes as well, in the 1990's through 2010. I think the school still has some.
    contact me with a pic of the little base with a ruler next to it and I can tell you which plate will work.
    Last edited by Rod Klukas; 29-Jul-2021 at 17:05. Reason: spelling
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com