Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your favorite mountains & ridgelines

Let's see your favorite mountains & ridgelines

Please share your favorite LF images of mountains and ridgelines.

Maybe you’re looking up at them. Or looking down from them. Either way, chances are there’s a story to go with your shot, so please share any stories you might have. And if you can name the place, that would be even better.

I live in Seattle, so all of my mountain images are in the N. Cascades (east of Seattle) or the Olympics (west of Seattle, on the coast). The N. Cascades are full of volcanoes and igneous rocks; the Olympics are mostly sandstone, have no volcanoes, and are not as high. But they’re closer to my heart.

Here’s one to start off:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mt Olympus.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	218030

I’m in Olympic Nat’l Forest (about 4,000 feet), looking into Olympic NP. On the right horizon, that’s snowy Mount Olympus, the highest mountain in the Olympics (about 6,900 feet). That’s not very high compared to mountains in the Cascades, but its perennial snow cover – thanks to the moist air from the Pacific Ocean – makes it seem that way. In the valleys (between those parallel ridgelines) are roaring rivers, flowing left to right, that soon meet the Pacific Ocean. They flow through rain forests, which may be hard to believe with snow-capped peaks above them, and the Pacific Ocean just a few miles away.

Please share your mountains and ridgelines, and any stories behind them.

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider XL 110mm/5.6 (w/ orange filter)
    Polaroid Type 55
    Epson 4990/EpsonScan

Re: Let's see your favorite mountains & ridgelines

For contrast, here’s a famous mountain in the N. Cascades, a natural favorite, Mount St. Helens.

Name:	Mt Saint Helens.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	218051

I was lucky, caught her steaming, re-building a new peak – maybe an act of apology?

I’d enjoy seeing images of mountains and ranges I’ve never seen on my GG, namely the Sierra Nevada and Rockies – also the Appalachians, esp. in Georgia, the Smoky Mountains, the mid-Atlantic, and the New England peaks. Hope LFers have these images to share, plus more from other continents.

Tachi 4x5
    Fuji A 240mm/9
    T-Max 100 (in T-Max RS)
    Epson 4990/EpsonScan

Those are great. We went to the Grand Tetons two years ago, and I still regret not taking my 4x5 with me. Thought it would be too much hassle in airports, TSA, etc.

Here a couple images already shown...but one of my favorite ridgelines, seeing that it is in a favorite place (since the 60s - Joshua Trees NM, now a more popular NP), and on the horizon line is a good friend with her Deardorf Special (and rented 450mm, and using Polaroid Type55) lining up her image. I suppose the rocks are what's left after one erodes the rest of the mountain away.
    5x7 Rajah w/ 210mm, silver gelatin contact print
    and
    4x5 Gowland PocketView w/150mm lens, 16x20 Silver gelatin print -- the Mt Doom of Lord of the Rings fame in New Zealand, but thankfully before -- around new years of 1987. The day or two before, I had scrambled to the top of it, explored the top, and skied on my boots on the way down. A pretty neat mountain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails el2.jpg   Mt Nguruhoe, NZ_16x20.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

The mountain blew up about 8K years ago, but here is a ridgeline that was left. Crater Lake NP. An example of a time when wildfire smoke proved to be a photographic asset.

Name:	crater_lake_ridge_clean.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	218074

Beautifully done, Gregg. Love the lower right corner and how it affects how one takes the whole image in (and backed up by the opposite corner.)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Here’s a favorite image I made back in 1971 on my first 10-day backpack trip with my new 4x5 Sinar Norma. This is Prusik Peak (~ 7800ft.) in the Enchantment Lakes region of the Central Cascades in Washington state. I used a polarizer to remove enough surface reflection from the shallow tarn to show the rocks on the bottom. I only had Ektachrome with me at the time, but later wished I had done it in B&W. So in the darkroom, I copied the original with Polaroid 55P/N to get a “4x5” negative to work with, then enlarged the image and did some dodge/burn/crop to make an 8x10 B&W print. The image here is a scan of the print. Much later I made a 20x24 print from the negative that was sharp enough to frame and give to a friend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prusik Pk (2016_10_09 18_43_47 UTC).jpg   Prusik Peak (Alpine Lakes Wilderness) (2016_10_09 18_43_47 UTC) (2).jpg  

A few miles from my mountain cabin in Kittelfjäll in northern Sweden is the north east face of Borka. A 1500 feet drop into the lake below with the summit along the ridge above.
    Photos seldom give it justice (including this).
    See italmost every day when I visit, and never tire.

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post

A few miles from my mountain cabin in Kittelfjäll in northern Sweden is the north east face of Borka. A 1500 feet drop into the lake below with the summit along the ridge above.
    Photos seldom give it justice (including this).
    See italmost every day when I visit, and never tire.

Beautiful!

I recall you posting that one before, Jerry, I really enjoy it. Just the right amount of polarizer.

Thanks for the comment, Vaughn. You always see things in a photograph that I usually don't recognize.