Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your favorite mountains & ridgelines

Re: Let's see your favorite mountains & ridgelines

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    One of my favorite ridgelines, seeing that it is in a favorite place (since the 60s - Joshua Trees NM, now a more popular NP), and on the horizon line is a good friend with her Deardorf Special (and rented 450mm, and using Polaroid Type55) lining up her image. I suppose the rocks are what's left after one erodes the rest of the mountain away.
    The side lighting on the eroded forms creates a splendid dimensional effect, and I like how you’ve preserved the granular texture in all the brightest areas.

I would have underestimated the size of the rocks without your friend in the frame.

This looks like a place one would discover by going off trail and exploring with instinct and curiosity – the way I find most of my mountain shots.

Here's another previously posted one. This one was made on 3rd Burroughs Mtn (7800 ft.) not far from Sunrise on the NE side of Mt. Rainier with a view of Winthrop Glacier. Burroughs Mtn is really a "ridge" with three high points in an undulating fashion. I made three attempts to reach this location; the first two fizzled due to whiteout rolling in around noon on 2nd Burroughs. Loved the soft diffused light on the glacier underneath the ring cloud around the mtn.

Not sure if it's my favourite mountain, but it sure is nice seeing the mountains of Scotland appear when you approach Loch Lomond and then seeing this once you pass Rannoch Moor.
    A puny body weakens the soul.
    Paul Cezanne

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    I made three attempts to reach this location; the first two fizzled due to whiteout rolling in around noon on 2nd Burroughs.
    I feel your pain – I’ve been turned back by weather on that impossibly scenic trail, too. Your clouds make me think of a viaduct in the sky. Or depending on the weather, maybe an aqueduct!

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    Not sure if it's my favourite mountain, but it sure is nice seeing the mountains of Scotland appear when you approach Loch Lomond and then seeing this once you pass Rannoch Moor.
    A nice Scottish mountain indeed.

Is the reflection coming off a thin layer of ice?

The more distant mountain captures my attention too. I like how the U-shaped dip in the ridge frames it. Was that a result of luck or cunning? ;^)

Ray Van Nes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asulkan Glacier, Glacier Park, BC.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	218152
    Asulkan Glacier in Rogers Pass , BC , Canada. Taken with a Super Speed Graphic and 300mm Nikkor. Hauled camera up 4000 ft. crest of Abbot Ridge. Some time in the early 2000s.

A nice Scottish mountain indeed.

Is the reflection coming off a thin layer of ice?

The more distant mountain captures my attention too. I like how the U-shaped dip in the ridge frames it. Was that a result of luck or cunning? ;^)
    Yes, it was a clear frosty morning. Quite a bit of ice had formed and there were pretty thick icicles hanging from the grass on the bank.

Not a lot of luck involved with this one. I spent 10 days around Glen Coe in the winter of 2013, my first visit, but it was incredibly wet with a low cloud cover for a lot of the time. So I didn't get to shoot a lot back then, but had plenty of time to plan my shots for when the weather would pick up. I actually needed a compass and a map for quite a bit to see where the sun would come from. I moved on from Glencoe pretty much empty handed back then.
    This was shot in March of 2016. I was on my way towards Ullapool but stopped here for the night, hoping I would get one morning of shooting out of it. It was extremely clear and frosty, so I knew I only had sunrise and not much interesting going on after that. I chose this one (quite well known, but safe and well documented by me 3 years earlier) spot and decided to get ready well in advance, so I would be totally ready for those few good minutes. The banks of the river had changed a bit because there was a lot less water in it this time, but I found a good place, thanks to the ice I could still get the reflection in a decent place in the composition and it added a bit of interest. I still had a glorious morning after that, the weather was so nice, quickly drove into Glen Etive and a few other places around, but for the photography it was all over once the sun had properly risen.
    A puny body weakens the soul.
    Paul Cezanne

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Van Nes View Post
    Hauled camera up 4000 ft. crest of Abbot Ridge.
    You’re a stronger hiker than I am.

I’ve made greater gains in elevation – thanks to my trusty Honda Civic on FS roads!

Those banks of fog add a great deal of energy and mystery to your image.

Name:	In the N.  Cascades.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	218249

I wish similar weather had blessed me here in the N. Cascades, but calm, clear skies cursed me. ;^)

My plan is to return in September, after much snow melt, and hike all the way up.

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider 150/9 g-claron
    Ilford FP4+ (in very dilute HC-110)
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    I was on my way towards Ullapool but stopped here for the night, hoping I would get one morning of shooting out of it … and decided to get ready well in advance, so I would be totally ready for those few good minutes.
    And your preparations paid off with a great image. It sounds like you might have set-up and composed the night before next to a tent, or arrived well before dawn to be ready for what the sunrise would reveal. BTW, I think the curves of the ice (plus the curvy bank in the foreground) complement the triangular linearity of the mountain quite nicely. Keeps one in the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    For contrast, here’s a famous mountain in the N. Cascades, a natural favorite, Mount St. Helens.

Attachment 218051
    I don't mean to be critical, and I don't think anyone who may have noted the error really cares, but Mt. St. Helens is not in the North Cascades and actually is in the southern part of Washington. But it's a nice image, regardless.

Thanks Jerry, Mount St. Helens is fun to photograph, even if her temper is, well, volatile.

As for “N. Cascades,” I’d say you’re right – but so are others who would disagree with you.

For the term “N. Cascades” (for the 7 or 8 people who might care) is not an official geological term, which why people differ about its southern boundary. For example, many consider its southern boundary to be Hwy 2 (it sounds like you’re in this camp?); others say it’s the Skykomish; still others say it’s the area immediately north of Mount Rainier; and still others say it’s the Columbia River. Me, I say “N. Cascades” when I mean anywhere in the Cascade Range within Canada or Washington state, but I’m willing to hear them described in a more restricted range.

Now, once you head south of Washington state – into the Cascades of Oregon or N. California – I don’t think anyone would think they’re still in the N. Cascades!

Mountains and ridgelines well isolated by wildfire smoke:

Name:	CL_smoke_2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	219220