Thread: Gitzo 1570m issues

Question Gitzo 1570m issues

I had a gitzo 1570m that was sadly stolen about a year ago and with the pandemic and lack of funds I haven’t been able to replace it until now. I’ve been looking at an Arca Swiss c1, but haven’t managed to find anything used on here or elsewhere so I’m thinking about getting another 1570. My only issue is the bottom of my 8x10 is brushed aluminum so it’s fairly slick. With the 1570 head, even with both screws fastened to the bottom of the camera, it would shift a couple degrees which was frustrating on many occasions. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if so, how they resolved it. I’m leaving for three months soon and would rather avoid this problem while standing on a mountain where I have ten other things to worry about.

Also, if I were to break down and buy a new C1 cube head, are there baseplates available with an adjustable 3/8” and 1/4” screws included to ensure the camera doesn’t wiggle to the side at all?

Scott Davis

Re: Gitzo 1570m issues

If you stick to the 1570m, you could try getting one of those rubber jar opener mats and cutting a piece the shape of the head platform, to put between the camera and head. When cinched down, that should provide plenty of extra grip to keep the camera from slipping.

I have another gitzo with the same problem. I cut a piece of leather the size of the head.

Had a similar problem with another brand a few years ago. I glued a thin sheet of cork, but it didn't last a year with normal use. So then I replaced it with a sheet of felt, problem solved. Since then I have scraped off the original piece of felt and glued on a replacement piece. Took all of 5 minutes.

Also have and use a Gitzo G1570M head. On that head there is a thin recessed sheet of rubber which negates any movement of the camera with normal tightening of the tripod screw. I sticks up about 1 mm above the outside metal rim.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

For situations like that I made a rubber gasket using material from the hardware store. Lowes has 4 inch square rubber gasket material in the plumbing section. Several different thicknesses too. A couple of bucks per sheet.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-6-in...Washer/1082955

For full disclosure, in the past I've used leather, cork and this material. They all worked.

You can get cork that's just the right thickness. I just purchased some from our local Ace Hardware. They sell it for people to make their own gaskets. It comes in small rolls about 12" long.