Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a lens

Help me choose a lens

I don't know much about lens but I have the opportunity to choose one of these three lenses

90mm 68 Angulon (not Super)

105 mm f8 fujinon W

105 mm Fujinon SW

I have been reading about them but am now looking for reviews from users. This will be used on my 4x5s for color field work mainly. Price is a factor. A big factor. These three lense all fall in my budget as used. New is out of the question

Help me choose a lens

I am not sure the 105W will cover or give you much movement for 4x5. I think it was intended for 6x9cm.

The 90 is about a 28 on a 35mm (not an exact because of the different proportions but close. The 105 would be closer to a 35mm on a 35.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

Help me choose a lens

Shopping price? Then the 90 Angulon is probably a great way to go.

What other lenses do you own? If not much else, I'd suggest the following just to get things started:

- $125 150mm Fujinon W f/6.3

- $165 210mm Schneider Xenar f/6.1

A 90/150/210 spread works pretty well for many folks.

Help me choose a lens

What about a performance review. I know the rough equivilents. DId not know about the 105 W being for 3x3 though. Thanks for pointing that our. Might explain why no one snatched it up. It has been there for a while.

Help me choose a lens

In terms of resolution and contrast (as a measure of "performance") I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell any differences between them between f/11 and f/22.

In terms of coverage, the Nikkor has the least, followed by the Angulon and the Fuji (which should have great coverage). But you already know that.

Help me choose a lens

I would not use an Angulon. They are an old design which gets soft towards the edges of the image circle.

If you are new to larege format may I suggest some reading before buying

Using the View Camera that I wrote

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

The Free Articles on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

Help me choose a lens

Chris,

I am not knew to the game at all. I am just looking for a wide angle. Right now I have a 135 Xenar(that I am going to sell), 150 caltar, 180/360 convertible symmar, 210 caltar, 300mm dagor, and according to my wife too G-D many big cameras.

I do not want to spend over 350. I am selling the 135 because of it's limited image circle.

Help me choose a lens

I would try to find a decent 150 before any of these... You can find an older Fuji 150 f6.3 (very good lens) for less than $150.

If that is not an option for some reason, then: The 105W will barely cover 4x5 if it even will completely, so no movements; the 105 SW is relatively large hunk of glass; so I would suggest the 90 Angulon, though it is not what one would consider a stellar lens.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Help me choose a lens

The Fuji 105 SW f8 has lots of coverage, 250mm, but is heavy 570g, and f8 may be a bit dark.

Help me choose a lens

...I do not want to spend over 350. I am selling the 135 because of it's limited image circle...

Given a sensitivity to coverage, how about looking for a sweet Schneider 90mm Super Angulon f/8? If you keep your eyes open, I think you can find a nice multi-coated sample at the upper end of the price range. It would certainly have loads more coverage than the Angulon.

BTW, if coverage isn't an issue and you shoot straight on, my 90 Angulon is sharp all the way to the edges. No joke. But then the image quality drops off pretty quickly just beyond the edges of the frame.

If you are happily considering the 105 Fuji, check to see if it's multi or single coated. With the more complex lens designs, flare in single coated optics might become a challenge. In general, Fuji makes/made some seriously fun/fine lenses.