Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New here, new to LF, strongly considering a Wista

Re: New here, new to LF, strongly considering a Wista

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    ...I daresay that a lot of large format photographers rarely, if ever, use camera movements. Maybe even some here
    I use every movement my camera can do on just about every image I make -- it is just that I use most of the movements zeroed out most of the time.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Hi r.e. - yes! Saw this guy, too. Great that you recommended him as well. His western portraits are solid, and I like his attitude. Thanks again.

Hi jlafferty,

Glad you like Andres Hernandez's channel. If you're looking for a broader intro to large format, I think that Todd Korol has what is easily the best YouTube channel. Korol is Canadian and lives in Calgary, Alberta. He's a serious editorial photographer and videographer with decades of experience, and it's clear that he's on YouTube because he enjoys sharing his experience....
    Evocative over academic

Bruce Watson makes some good points. I'd just like to note that some people choose large format for reasons that have nothing to do with camera movements. They like what using a large format camera does to the way that they work with their subject...

...Bruce Davidson ...said that he chose a 4x5, tripod and all, because it helped his working relationship with the people that he wanted to photograph. Indeed, he's talked about that in some detail.
    This is the sort of thing I love about photography. I had the pleasure of sitting for dear friends of mine who produce wet plate, and I noticed so many things, and top among them was how I was feeling during the process, what it was asking of me, how it affected my relationship to the camera, etc. I really enjoyed the experience.
    Evocative over academic

Quote Originally Posted by jlafferty View Post
    Hi r.e. - yes! Saw this guy, too... I like his attitude.
    I do too. Korol's enthusiasm and absence of pretension are genuine. In May, the Large Format Photography Podcast had Korol as a guest. He grew up on a farm and became a working photographer the day after he graduated from high school. In the video three posts up, he talks about photographing William Allard, but doesn't mention that he's shot for National Geographic himself. I think that the podcast is worth a listen (Episode #51, the substance starts at the 3 minute mark). This is a screen capture for it from my iPad:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	korol.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	218017
    Last edited by r.e.; 28-Jul-2021 at 03:21.