Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinar F2 Vs Sinar Norma (4x5)

Re: Sinar F2 Vs Sinar Norma (4x5)

Sounds like a good plan.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I've had a lot of experience with both cameras, and I would go with the Sinar F2.
    ++1!!less complicated and a lot easier to find used.

Doesn't the Horseman rotary film back push the film plane even further back from the lens than a simple roll film holder designed for a 4x5 camera?

I've only seen pictures of them but it seemed that trying to use a very wide-angle lens (47mm) would be very difficult or impossible.

I imagined an old Arca Swiss 2x3 monorail would be the best way to go wide-angle with a roll film back ...

jeff

Horseman roll film rotary back does work on the 4x5 Sinar P rear in both Landscape and Portrait position. The HRFB must be oriented in this direction.

Ground glass in Landscape viewing position.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman rotary back_Sinar P_LSG.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	217957

Roll film back in Landscape position.

Name:	Horseman rotary back_Sinar P_LSF.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	217958

Ground glass in Portrait viewing position.

Name:	Horseman rotary back_Sinar P_PP.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	217959

Roll film back in Portrait position. Observe the note on the ground glass viewer frame. If the Horseman rotary back does not have this, highly recommended Do NOT purchase as these are difficult to find alone.

Name:	Horseman rotary back_Sinar P_PF.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	217960

Identical applies to Sinar P2 as it is functionally identical to the P rear in this case.

Bernice

Horseman rotary roll film back works in the Landscape position on the Sinar F2, F, F1, F+ and ...

Name:	Horseman rotary back_Sinar F2_LS.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	217962

Does NOT work in the Portrait position due to interference with the lower area of the F rear standard.

Name:	Horseman rotary back_Sinar F2_PPno.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	217963

Other brands (Toyo, Arca Swiss, Sinar and...) made sliding film backs. Been there, tried these.. to discover a tendency for light leaks

Bernice

Except the F, F+, F1, F2 4x5 rear standard has a bump together issues with the Horseman rotary roll film back. See post# 15.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Originally Posted by neil poulsen, "I've had a lot of experience with both cameras, and I would go with the Sinar F2."

++1!!less complicated and a lot easier to find used.

Arca Swiss and Sinar were related in the beginnings of Sinar. Think the story goes, Koch needed to get the initial design built, It was the Oswald family that took on the Sinar design, produced it until Sinar gained the ability to produce this design.

Circa 70's Arca Swiss and Sinar were similar in their offerings. By the later 80's Sinar had a LOT more accessories and capabilities offered as part of the Sinar system. Many of these add-ons were made due to customer request and customer needs. Stuff like the adjustable curtain lens shade, TTL on the GG metering, Mechanical and "digital" shutter, Expolux system, color correction filter system and much more far beyond any of the Arca Swiss offerings.

If one were to consider only the camera, indeed they are similar and the film image results given identical lens would be much identical within limits. Until ya get to extreme bellows extension needed for long focal length lenses:

Name:	Reinhart wolf, Sinar.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	217968

Name:	Long Sinar, 3.2.2021.jpg 
Views:	41 
ID:	217969

Could this be done on an Arca Swiss or other monorail camera?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Speaking as a Sinar rep for EPOI in the mid 70s and then as the LInhof rep afterward till 4 years ago there are multiple reasons why Sinar was so predominant starting in the mid 70s in North America. And the main reason was marketing. We were given outfits to “loan” to companies, leading photographers, influencers, schools, etc. to make Sinar into the dominant choice. Many of those cameras were never returned and became payment in kind.

After all, once the shot was on film it made difference what camera took the shot. On film all of the results are the same.

How important are bubble levels on Norma? Can they be easily replaced, for some reason I think that could potentially be extremely hard? Starting from finding the correct bubble levels, figuring out how to position them, even applying the correct amount of glue seems tricky? The camera I want to buy has dried out ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Arca Swiss and Sinar were related in the beginnings of Sinar. Think the story goes, Koch needed to get the initial design built, It was the Oswald family that took on the Sinar design, produced it until Sinar gained the ability to produce this design.

Circa 70's Arca Swiss and Sinar were similar in their offerings. By the later 80's Sinar had a LOT more accessories and capabilities offered as part of the Sinar system. Many of these add-ons were made due to customer request and customer needs. Stuff like the adjustable curtain lens shade, TTL on the GG metering, Mechanical and "digital" shutter, Expolux system, color correction filter system and much more far beyond any of the Arca Swiss offerings.

If one were to consider only the camera, indeed they are similar and the film image results given identical lens would be much identical within limits. Until ya get to extreme bellows extension needed for long focal length lenses:

Name:	Reinhart wolf, Sinar.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	217968

Name:	Long Sinar, 3.2.2021.jpg 
Views:	41 
ID:	217969

Could this be done on an Arca Swiss or other monorail camera?

Bernice
    Yes, LInhof could and do that long extension. Sold a system to Dixie cup to do 1:1 on 810 with a 420mm or 480 with extension left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Times2 View Post
    How important are bubble levels on Norma? Can they be easily replaced, for some reason I think that could potentially be extremely hard? Starting from finding the correct bubble levels, figuring out how to position them, even applying the correct amount of glue seems tricky? The camera I want to buy has dried out ones.
    With a good level to accurately confirm their alignment, easy to replace. Just beware of cheap rip-offs that are not accurate (not usable) or the holes for the screws will not align with the holes on the Sinar (doable/fixable). http://www.glennview.com/ has them but they are not cheap... I've seen them up on auction for under $10.00. "You get what you pay for" a good adage to apply here. I once bought a broken standard for little money just to reuse the two OEM bubble levels. Two of the OEM bubble levels on my Norma are "cloudy" from age but still work fine.