Thread: It's been a 4 or 5 years since I posted last - film notch code question

Random Pixel Generator

It's been a 4 or 5 years since I posted last - film notch code question

I'll figure out what it is when I shoot the film and process the negatives but if someone knows what the notch code is for Rollei Infrared sheet film I'd like to add that to my notebook. I haven't shot any yet. I need to either get a filter or use a lens that the filter I have fits. I think I need to switch to the Z holder I used with digital.

On another note, the great film experiment... ok not so great... but an experiment nonetheless, is about to begin. I got tired of having 4x5 and 8x10 equipment laying around so I dusted it all off and I have started shooting film again, almost. First legit LF shoot is tomorrow afternoon and then late next week in Big Bend NP for a few days. I may use the 8x10 but I may just warm up with a 4x5 and at least the $pain won't be as bad if I screw up. <-- crappy logic... I'll screw up. It might not be this week or next week but it'll happen some day. I need to adjust my mind to shooting the 8x10 when it's time not out of fear of messing up a sheet of $film.

The first thing I did was check my 4x5 film holders for film (12 of them). No way would I leave film in 12 holders for 4 or 5 years... ok... The first dark slide that I slid open revealed a sheet of film I quickly slid the dark slide closed so the film is fine. (said no one ever)
    Ok... it's not fine. I pulled the sheet out.
    It's got to be Delta 100 because that's all that I was shooting a few years ago.
    I checked the notch code.
    Looks like Ilford changed it.
    No... no they didn't.
    It's HP5+. Ok... so all of the holders must have HP5+ in them?
    Stay tuned.

I used to put exposure cards in the each pocket of the RPT (now PhotoBackpacker?) and that told me what the film was and how/if it was shot. One holder per pocket, 2 cards, one for each sheet. The first three pockets didn't have a card in them which is why I "ass"umed that the holder was empty.

Pocket #4 of 6 has an exposure card with the film holder. It's filled out, for Portra 160 (notice... not black and white and how that contradicts the bold-faced and underlined text above). But only one card and the holder number and side that was exposed isn't marked on the card. All of my holders are marked A1/A2, B1/B2, etc) so I can "ass"ume that I started with side one, in this case holder G, side 1. I have 12 holders, possibly all full of unknown, for now, film.

I used to stick to my system pretty well so I think it's safe to "ass"ume that all but one sheet of the Portra 160 hasn't been shot. I don't have to assume how it was stored. 60 - 80 degrees depending on what time of year it was and if I was home. Next step...

This is what I think I did when I loaded the holders in the #2 RPT- I think I loaded HP5+ in the first three holders and Portra 160 in the last three holders. I know I <--
    I think, maybe, could be, pretty sure that each holder has the same type of film in it in the first three pockets and the same film in the 2nd three pockets. #1 RPT? Who knows. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be empty (ie no old, exposed, or ruined film). There are no filled out exposure cards in #1 RPT.

I need to put the holders in the tent, open each one and feel for the notch code, put a pencil in my nose and write the code down... erasing is not going to go very well... maybe I'll rely on my tack sharp memory... if I can remember what it is I'm talking about.

I need to look back through my scans and see if any of those made it to platinum palladium prints. That was my first not-so-dark room experience. I'm pretty sure I didn't post any of them.

I may try Pt/PD again. I think that if I sold my house, pickup, and the neighbors dog I could buy 25ml of Pd... Lordy I need a darkroom... I have most of the "stuff"...
    "Even after all this time
    the Sun never says to the Earth,
    You owe me.". Hafiz

Wild Light

Random Pixel Generator

Re: It's been a 4 or 5 years since I posted last - film notch code question

Well I got that almost completely wrong.

#1 RPT - 6 holders loaded with HP5+
    #2 RPT - The first holder, second side has an exposed sheet of Portra 160 in it. The other side and rest of the holders are empty.

A buddy of mine and I are going down to the rice prairie tomorrow afternoon. I think we'll shoot all of the HP5. It's been in those holders 4 or 5 years and not in the freezer. I have some new Delta 100 and I've got two holders with Delta 100 in them.

Why is it that we had puffy clouds, calm(er) winds, and scattered thundershowers the last time I was here and now, when I want to shoot some film we have hazy, monotone skies, and it's windy?
    You owe me.". Hafiz

Wild Light

Notch code for Rollei Infrared is a single, fairly deep V.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

When I last got confused like t he at I just pulled out all of the film and loaded new film.

Welcome back!

Random Pixel Generator

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Notch code for Rollei Infrared is a single, fairly deep V.
    Perfect. Thank you
    You owe me.". Hafiz

Wild Light

Random Pixel Generator

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    When I last got confused like t he at I just pulled out all of the film and loaded new film.

Welcome back!
    That crossed my mind. I'm kind of curious how the HP5+ is going to work and there's the I've haven't done this for a while. This way I can blame the film if I screw up

When I stepped away from photography a few years ago, it wasn't just film, I didn't mess with digital either. Almost all photography stopped. I work in the 4 Corners area, which is a target rich environment, and other than a few short, token trips I haven't been anywhere with a camera (not counting my phone). I was so close to building my darkroom and then I got transferred. Oh well... it won't last that much longer.

It's good to be on the way back. Thank you.
    You owe me.". Hafiz

Wild Light

Past Imperfect #8

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.4cm X 21.3cm, from a 4x5 Tri-X Pan Professional negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF
    double extension field view camera fitted with a 150mm f4 Wollaston Meniscus soft-focus lens and a #25 red filter.

My photographer friend died after a long illness and some of his equipment passed into my hands. There were many film holders that he had loaded with Tri-X fifteen years previously but could not expose.
    Film holders kill film in long term storage so I knew that the film had corroded. I went soft-focus and semi-abstract hoping for an interesting result.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Random Pixel Generator

I think I'm going to load the empty holders from the new box of Delta 100. Just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post

Past Imperfect #8

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.4cm X 21.3cm, from a 4x5 Tri-X Pan Professional negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF
    double extension field view camera fitted with a 150mm f4 Wollaston Meniscus soft-focus lens and a #25 red filter.

My photographer friend died after a long illness and some of his equipment passed into my hands. There were many film holders that he had loaded with Tri-X fifteen years previously but could not expose.
    Film holders kill film in long term storage so I knew that the film had corroded. I went soft-focus and semi-abstract hoping for an interesting result.
    I really like the look of that image. Nicely done!
    You owe me.". Hafiz

Wild Light